Author Topic: Cetus3D 3D Printer  (Read 76367 times)

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Cetus3D 3D Printer
« on: April 26, 2017, 06:05:17 AM »
Has anyone any experience of the Cetus3D 3 D printer - it looks an elegant and simple method of construction  - I know it's not the bees knees but it caught my imagination:

https://www.cetus3d.com/

I presume that they are USA based but their web site is a bit coy about details, so not sure if they are available in the UK.

I know that there is one design fault, in that if the power is cut, the Z axis crashes down onto the platen but that is eliminated by a 2lb 'tool balancer' spring :)

« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 11:29:10 AM by awemawson »
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline PK

Re: CetusD 3D Printer
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 06:16:48 AM »
I know two people who have them, one runs a 3D printing service/movie prop making business and the other is Angus from the 'Makers Muse' youtube channel.
Both speak highly of the unit with the caveat 'For what it is'

I can't recall if it has a heated bed, but this is generally considered a good thing, and essential if you want to make crap FDM prints with plastics that tend to the belligerent side of functional..
It's certainly an addable thing...

Offline mattinker

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 06:50:46 AM »

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: Cetus3D 3D Printer
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 07:15:13 AM »
Interesting - thanks. I've emailed them to ask re shipping to the UK and will await results - hey I don't NEED a 3D printer in my life but this one seemed quite reasonably engineered for a change  :ddb:
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 09:50:27 AM by awemawson »
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline mattinker

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 07:28:42 AM »

I don't NEED a 3D printer in my life but this one seemed quite reasonably engineered for a change  :ddb:

No, but titivating must go on!.....................

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 08:22:25 AM »
.......I can't recall if it has a heated bed, but this is generally considered a good thing.........

I looked at these and they offered an add-on heated bed BUT it was un-controlled, that could of course be added, but would be an extra bit of faffing around & cost.

Dave

Offline mattinker

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 08:41:46 AM »
.......I can't recall if it has a heated bed, but this is generally considered a good thing.........

that could of course be added, but would be an extra bit of faffing around & cost.

Dave

I think, judging by past experience, the "extra bit of faffing around" would be right up Andrews proverbial street! he'll find us an ingenious way of making a fine control for the heated plate!

All the best, Matthew

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 09:45:07 AM »
 :palm: Don't embarrass me Matthew  :palm:

They've replied that they do ship to the UK, I'm now awaiting a price  :med:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline mattinker

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 10:44:47 AM »
:palm: Don't embarrass me Matthew  :palm:
Well I'm looking forward to it, even before it's official! I must say it looks like an interesting "bare bones" approach!

Cheers Matthew!

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 11:28:59 AM »
Well that's torn it - my finger did it honestly gov ! ... it went and pressed the BUY button  :lol:

Looks like it's back to bread and water for a few months before the crater in my bank balance levels out  :bang:
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 11:29:51 AM by awemawson »
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline mattinker

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 03:40:59 PM »
Well I never!! Titivate titivate.....................

Offline DaveS

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2017, 04:23:08 AM »
That's one giant leap of engineering from 60lb blacksmith hammer to 3D printer :hammer: :smart:

Offline Joules

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2017, 05:07:24 AM »
Not really Dave when you take into account the falling head when the power goes off.   :palm:

I looked at this machine, liked the use of linear rail, had reservations about the use of belt on the Z over a leadscrew.  However, the counterbalance spring is a good solution.  Heated bed, depends what you intend to print with.  I wouldn't go too exotic due to the use of printed parts.  Build a cabinet for it to cut down dust and draughts.  In winter my PLA printers have the cabinets warmed to 20 ℃ with a hair drier, after that the printing process is enough to keep them around that temperature for consistent prints.

The Cetus is on my wish list, but only when they have a UK supplier.  Look forward to Andrews mangling of it  :poke:

The Cetus is made by Tiertime, the same company that do the UP printers and a range of professional FDM machines.  They have a lot of experience with printers.  Another option for the counterbalance would be a sash window style fix, counterweight and pulleys 3D printed of course.
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2017, 06:23:39 AM »
5th May DHL are saying for delivery.  :wave:

No doubt they'll hold me to ransom for the VAT and handling charges

Dave, I'd appreciate a link to that heated bed - it didn't show up when I was poking about on the CETUS site   :scratch:
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 11:30:11 AM by awemawson »
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2017, 06:48:53 AM »
.....Dave, I'd appreciate a link to that heated bed - it didn't show up when I was poking about on the CETUS site   :scratch:

Andrew - https://www.cetus3d.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=65 but currently showing as 'out of stock'

Dave

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2017, 07:35:31 AM »
Thanks Dave, no idea how I missed that - must be getting too old  :bang:
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 11:30:36 AM by awemawson »
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline nrml

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2017, 06:07:22 PM »
I thought you mentioned a while back that you were supporting the E3D big box project on kickstarter. Did you withdraw from that?

Someone with your knowledge, skills and resources could build a much better printer than the cetus for a similar budget IMO. 9mm and 12mm linear rails are less than £17 delivered these days.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2017, 06:25:37 PM »
Yes I did, and I withdrew when they decided that the full spec model would only be shipped as a  kit not assembled as had been implied. It's a time issue - yes I'm sure I could make one from scratch, but there are only so many hours in a day and I'd like to get it done before the kids are screwing in the last coffin nail  :lol:
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 11:31:10 AM by awemawson »
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2017, 12:46:17 PM »
Text from DHL saying they would now deliver today 3rd May so I arranged to be in all day. 16.16 I got another text saying that they had made a 'failed delivery', but no card in the letter box confirming this.

Now anyone who's been to my place will know there's an alarm on the front gate connected to every building, there are two dogs who ALWAYS let us know if we have visitors, and a whole pile of cameras, so the courier picked the wrong place to falsely claim he'd been here  :lol:

Quick phone call to DHL to get them to turn the courier round - they contacted him pretty quickly but he refused to return - I'm fairly sure he was already on his way home at the time of the alleged failed delivery.

35 minutes talking to DHL 'help desk' failed to find a solution - I'm out after 10 am tomorrow so my suggestion was that they could do a pre-10 am and all would be fine. Not possible the girl tells me.

Escalation to supervisor who immediately takes a much more constructive approach after hearing that no way was it a failed delivery, more a 'couldn't be arsed', confirms he will arrange a pre-10 am delivery tomorrow and then mutters about  checking the couriers GPS data tomorrow when it's available  :clap:

... .we'll see what happens tomorrow morning for this delivery for which DHL have received £91  :bang:
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 11:31:25 AM by awemawson »
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2017, 11:52:54 PM »
It is like box of chokolate as in Forrest Gump. Last time my DHL delivery was great. Delivery girl called me in advance and I alerted the neighbour.

Then there is Post Nord, that collects much of delivery from many comppanies, tries delivery when ever they pease, no prior contact, leave a note with their hand writen case number, service phone does npt answer, you can't pick it up from their depo and they can't try delivery next day or reroute or rechedule.

Lucilyt usually you get it in the end.

Pekka

Offline PK

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2017, 05:25:29 AM »
A little off topic, but you've demonstrated a curious aspect of business that I happened to encounter today as well.

I'm talking about instances of the generic:
"I would like X please"
"I'm sorry sir, we cant give you X"
"I want to speak to your boss/I'll post nasty things about you on social media/(or the ever reliable) I will make you personally and publicly accountable for the outcome of this conversation."
"I'm very sorry about that sir, of course we can give you X"

I mean, all it does is train us to behave badly.....

Anecdote from my day:
"Hello, I'd like to send this money to one of our suppliers in US Dollars please"
"Certainly sir, we can offer you this exchange rate."
"I don't like that exchange rate. Give me a better one."
<phone call>
"Here you go sir, I can now offer you *this* rate. Congratulations,you saved $500"

I s%^t you not, that was the entire conversation, verbatim.....

Offline Joules

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2017, 05:42:51 AM »
I run my business with honesty and integrity, perhaps that explains why I don't do so well.

p.s.   I could just be crap at what I do on the other hand.   :lol:

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2017, 06:05:59 AM »
I run my business with honesty and integrity, perhaps that explains why I don't do so well.

p.s.   I could just be crap at what I do on the other hand.   :lol:

Ditto, thats why I failed miserably.....and I am crap,at what I do.....without even trying... :Doh:
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2017, 06:42:17 AM »
Well DHL FAILED to meet their 10 am delivery. A phone call got a 'definitely be there by 11.00' - another target that they MISSED. Then 20 past 11 chap turns up with a DAMAGED box  :bang:

Turns out he yesterday went to a farm in another road (in another post code as well) and ASSUMED he was in the right place - damn it all there are bally great signs out side saying who we are  :bang:

Looks like the box has been impacted by a bar or something, and I can feel metallic bits inside. Won't investigate until I've time to do it in an unhurried way, as (due to DHL) I'm now very late for my appointment in Canterbury and need to leave.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 11:32:53 AM by awemawson »
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Joules

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2017, 06:54:06 AM »
 :palm:  The total gits.....  Well you now have somewhere to post the bollocks.

If the parts damaged are printable PM me.