Author Topic: Cetus3D 3D Printer  (Read 76395 times)

Offline PekkaNF

Re: CetusD 3D Printer
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2017, 01:22:51 PM »
How did that printer fare the odoyssey.

Pekka

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: Cetus3D 3D Printer
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2017, 01:41:21 PM »
Not opened the box yet Pekka - I'm going to do it forensically and slowly when I'm not rushed - just returned from Canterbury and have a few livestock issues to attend to, and first thing in the morning after feed time I need to get the Goliath Power Hammer loaded up onto transport that's arriving. When that's all calmed down (and I've calmed down !) I'll have at it  :dremel:
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 11:28:37 AM by awemawson »
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2017, 07:08:23 AM »
OK this morning I took the plunge and unpacked the 3D printer to examine what if any damage has been done.

Ominously the gash in the box has penetrated the rigid foam packing and seems to have reached the end of the Z stepper motor assembly, but with any luck it's not done any damage other than perhaps skewed the alignment.

I won't know that until I'm in a position to power it up and try it out.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 11:28:18 AM by awemawson »
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2017, 07:21:28 AM »
So I then carried on unpacking the whole assembly - over all I'm quite impressed with the packing - rigid foam cut and glued to shape holding everything in place, with a shipping clamp preventing movement of the axis's.

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2017, 07:24:02 AM »
Photo's continued
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 11:27:57 AM by awemawson »
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2017, 07:33:54 AM »
Now I must say that I am quite impressed so far. Seems nicely made and robust. I do have a couple of criticisms though. No documentation in the box what so ever, and the extruder head mounting seems a bit flimsy using only two of the four possible screws. However attention to details such as including a UK style cable for the mains not the frequently supplied nasty adaptor is good.

Fairly obvious how the build plate fixes (four countersunk screws) and the extruder head (two cap screws) and the main cable has a multi-way plug for the head, so that's easy, but there's a floating black and red cable pair terminated together in a forked crimp that has no obvious point to put it. A bit of googling reveals that they have had problems with static, and it's a drain wire and needs fixing to the metal work of the extruder motor.

Now I need to decide which PC I'm going to install the software on, and connect it up.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 11:27:39 AM by awemawson »
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2017, 07:54:33 AM »
good thing

Once I got kitchen fume hood from the mail and the outside box had only one corner a little crushed and on first inspection all shiny stainless steel parts were fine, but when I checked the mounting plate i noticed that the weight/inertia had bent then shell out of alignment of the mounting plate/fan. Sent the picture and they arranged to pick it up and to send new one. It would have been hard to straighten/align parts without major disassembly.

Whole lot of stuff you got with it. How much it came to cost total?

Pekka

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2017, 09:25:36 AM »

£441.76 landed in the UK then an additional £50 handling / custom charge. HOWEVER, looking at the paperwork that they supplied to customs they have grossly under stated the value (NOT at my request!)

But so far the downloaded software is refusing to run - starts up then crashes - others on the forum having the same issue. This is on a Win7 32 bit machine. I'm going to try a 64 bit Win7 machine and see if that works  :scratch:
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 11:27:16 AM by awemawson »
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2017, 11:07:23 AM »
Well it works on the 64 bit machine, and I've had it driving all axis about, so probably functional.  :clap:

Yet to actually do anything with it as events are overtaking me - expecting a 'sock lamb' shortly as company for the other orphan lamb so having to sort out it's accommodation  :med:
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 11:26:46 AM by awemawson »
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2017, 11:42:57 AM »
Careful with that scraper Andrew, if it's anything like the one they supplied with my UP [ and it's the same company according to Joules ] then you could shave a peach with it.

Wickedly sharp.
John Stevenson

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2017, 07:43:12 AM »
Not overly sharp John  :scratch:

Well as I type this the Cetus3D is printing it's first test print - a cone and has a further 3 hours to run.

Initial setting up was a problem - setting the Z height they say slide a paper under the nozzle and over the table, trapping it gently. all very well if the Z will come down far enough. It was 0.75 mm off the table at it's lowest  :bang:

A bit of fiddling with the extruder head mounting and with it at a slight squiffy angle I got the paper trapped and set up ok. Thinking about it I've seen pictures of this printer before with the head at a slightly jaunty angle - I can see a mounting mod coming up  :ddb:

.. it's now finished the raft and started the actual cone.

I need to read up on how to import what I want to print, rather than their library and I may actually be able to do something useful with it  :clap:

« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 11:26:21 AM by awemawson »
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2017, 11:00:01 AM »
Well it did it  :thumbup:

I must say that I'm quite impressed. But now I have a big learning curve ahead in modelling and handling the software, but many have been down that track before me so I'm sure that there'll be signposts on the way  :coffee:

Now I had better buy the heated bed, as I understand it is really a necessity for ABS
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 11:25:51 AM by awemawson »
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2017, 04:58:28 AM »
 :clap: :clap: I'm in Happy Bunny Mode ! :clap: :clap:

This morning, I created a very simple 3D shape in Fusion 360, saved it as an STL file using Autodesk Print Studio. Imported it into the Cetus 3D software, scaled it down to 25% (to save filament as it's only a test) and printed it out.

.....  AND IT WORKS  :lol:

Simple stuff for you 3D printer experts, but to me this is a major achievement in that I now know that I can use this printer for useful stuff, not just printing out Starwars models !

« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 11:25:35 AM by awemawson »
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2017, 06:54:26 AM »
And to prove that they are repeatable and interchangeable I did a couple more  :ddb:
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 11:25:11 AM by awemawson »
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2017, 07:29:04 AM »
Andrew,

Those tests demonstrate repeatability, but have you had a chance to quantitatively check accuracy? - both linearly and also orthogonality (with the cantilevered arm, I had wondered if there was any risk of twist, especially as a result of transport).

Dave

Offline seadog

• NE London
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2017, 07:41:01 AM »
Are you trying to compete with Lego, Andrew  :lol:

Offline Joules

« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2017, 08:05:00 AM »
Print two at right angles some distance apart and then press them together so both pins fill both holes.
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2017, 08:22:19 AM »
That 3D shape was actually my first experiment with Fusion 360 when I loaded it up over a year ago - it was just handy to have it and I don't even remember if I deliberately made the peg and socket symmetrically placed - but I presume that I must have as they tessellate  :med:
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 11:24:49 AM by awemawson »
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2017, 12:34:48 PM »
So at Joules's suggestion I ran the 'Joules Test'

I imported two copies of the Peggy - moved them to opposite corners of the build space, and rotated one by 90 degrees.

Then having printed them and removed their 'rafts' pressed them into a very intimate embrace.

When the deed was done I gently separated them just to check the the male pegs hadn't sheered off.

.... I reckon it passes the Joules Test with flying colours  :ddb:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Joules

« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2017, 12:43:50 PM »
 :thumbup:  I'm impressed, you normally get some distortions around the bed with cartesian machines, also with cheap belts and differing tension you may sometimes have to tweak the steps per mm if you can't match the belt tension.  Looking forward to more prints.

Do both parts measure the same width and length ?  ± 0.1mm. Maybe do the measurement mid way up side of the blocks.  Top and bottom might be different due to the shell expanding or contracting.
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2017, 01:09:35 PM »
I'll do some measuring after super (chicken & vegetable casserole  :thumbup: )

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2017, 01:12:42 PM »
I've got broken leg of lamb..........................................
John Stevenson

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2017, 02:10:59 PM »
I'm very impressed and a little jealous  :clap: :clap: :clap:

I haven't ventured into making any 3d CAD models yet, but my 3dPrinter is at least 6 months from being in a position to squirt melted plastic into something vaguely resembling a useful part, so I will have plenty of time to get to grips with it.

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2017, 02:19:04 PM »
Tim, I've had the avaricious urges for a 3D printer - in fact had them for years, but didn't have the time or patience to do what you are doing with yours. When I tripped over the Cetus3D on the web I was quite impressed by it's mechanical simplicity and by the reviews that I read, but also had the same concerns that others have expressed about the cantilever design. But in the end I decided that I wasn't getting any younger and it was time 'just to do it'  :ddb:

OK it wasn't cheap, but I am pretty pleased with it. Had I made my own it would have had a bigger envelope and like yours be built on more traditional engineering lines, but at least I have it to play with   :thumbup:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2017, 03:15:16 PM »
Well the lengths correlate suspiciously well - no I didn't cheat  :ddb:

(but I was in trouble over supper - it was chicken and roast veg not casserole apparently  :bang: )
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex