Author Topic: Cetus3D 3D Printer  (Read 76363 times)

Offline efrench

Re: Cetus3D 3D Printer
« Reply #75 on: May 14, 2017, 06:26:07 PM »
Yes, you can start/stop printing at any height above the bed.  How to do it depends on the slicer. Directly editing the gcode is pretty easy. You can also embed nuts, washers, reinforcing fibers, etc.  You may not get the plastic to stick to a plain aluminum part/bed but adding an ABS slurry works for ABS and Nylon.

Weed whacker/trimmer nylon works pretty well.  I haven't solved the stringing problem with it yet, but it's not to hard to design around it.

Offline Henning

• All the kit and no clue!
« Reply #76 on: May 15, 2017, 04:21:52 AM »
The obstacle today as I, with my rather limited understanding see it, is that many materials need a heated bed. Now, let's say we were going to print a gasket for instance onto an aluminium part. We would then need to heat the part and keep it at that heat throughout the entire printing process. In addition, we would need to know the exact height of the part to be able to design the code to start at the exact height of the part. Currently I'm running an original Prusa I3 MK2, by many said to be the best "bang for buck" printer out there. It's a fabulous machine (if we choose to ignore the obvious lack of proper engineering... like fastening bearings with zip ties...) but I would struggle to be able to do this. Slicers are the least worry IMHO. They do a wonderful job and are easy to use.
Henning

Just because i can't, doesn't mean i shouldn't?
Tool- lover, with a collection to show for it!

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #77 on: May 15, 2017, 05:21:26 AM »
As supplied my Cetus 3D gives you little access to directly controlling things, however setting the 'zero plane' for printing IS implemented in the set up tools as you need to account for different build tables. So in the case of a flat aluminium part fixed to the build table and needing the gasket applying it would just be a case of setting the top of it as 'ground zero'

There is an alternative (or add on - I'm not sure which) that allows direct use of G code for control - I've not yet explored that avenue as I have enough to learn with what I have  :coffee:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #78 on: May 15, 2017, 06:41:38 AM »
Now this is getting interesting. :nrocks:

Prusa seems to be the general starting point, I don't like the mechanics. I understand the construction from that point of view that you can make it from hardware shop parts using only hand tools. But that lead somewhat less than ideal solution if you have lathe, milling machine and can work with aluminium exrusion and such.

Another thing is the configuration. Plenty of freedom if you only extrude light structures. Somehow I would like more strong screw actuated Z-axis (table) and lightweight/fast X/Y gantry.

I would exhange the heat table any time to heatable fixure/heatsink construction with external PID controller et.al. Thin, lightweigh plate is harder to keep uniform hot and straight.

Another thing I ahve been thinkking is "syringe" exruder. Bit like in lab those metering syringes with stepper drive or the origninal DIY 3D printer.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fab@Home

Pekka

Offline efrench

« Reply #79 on: May 17, 2017, 03:54:15 AM »
A couple of years ago, I watched an MIT demo of a conductive extrusion ink/paste that used a syringe extruder.  Ceramic extruders are using compressed air to control the syringe.

Offline Bee

« Reply #80 on: May 19, 2017, 04:43:00 PM »
I've not seen any further mention of the falling head problem. My understanding is that it starts at the bottom and then can only go up until finished so perhaps a pawl on the toothed belt would work, kind of inverse of the normal people lift safety catch.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #81 on: May 19, 2017, 05:03:31 PM »
Counterbalance spring on order  :thumbup:

There are all sorts of catches and ratchets that have been developed, but the balance spring is the most elegant in my view. Tracking says it's 'out for delivery'   :clap: 
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #82 on: May 22, 2017, 03:12:16 PM »
Today I made a little box - nothing very exciting, but it was a Autodesk Fusion 360 learning exercise for me. I wanted to make a drawing where the walls and base of the box are a defined thickness, but the other dimensions can be stretched or shrunk - a sort of parametric model. In this case I just concentrated on the base, and it nicely stays at 3 mm thick as I stretch or shrink the height  :thumbup:

It has also proved to be a useful calibration check for X & Y accuracy, as the lid (a deliberately tight fit) fits just as well both ways round  :ddb:

Altogether a handy exercise. Printed in cheap eBay £10 / kg PLA filament, which is definitely not as strong as the stuff you get from e3d but about 1/3rd the price  :bugeye:

The Z axis spring balancer is slated to arrive tomorrow, so if it does I'll follow up with a few pictures
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #83 on: May 23, 2017, 05:16:26 AM »
The Cetus3D has an inherent problem, in that when the power is turned off, the Z axis rail having little friction allows the Y motor and assembly to come crashing down onto the bed if you don't remember to hold it  :bugeye:

Several people have devised different solutions but I decided to use one based on a counter balance reel sping as it seemed a neat idea. No point in re-inventing the wheel so I ordered a kit.

As promised today Steve the Post Man brought the Z Balancer modification kit. This is a  kit put together by an enterprising user in the USA who solved the problem on his Cetus3D by finding a suitably small coiled wire spring balancer (rated at 2 lbs) to just give the assembly neutral buoyancy  and drawing up and printing some bits to allow it to fit on the upright extrusion and take the weight of the Y axis and motor in the Z plane.

Fitting was pretty straight forward - slightly unnerving screwing self tapping screws into the printed bit of the Cetus, but all went well (apart from the inevitable disappearing screw  :bang:)

Works well and to prove that it doesn't inhibit anything else the machine is currently churning out another box  :thumbup:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #84 on: May 23, 2017, 07:28:05 AM »
... it was a Autodesk Fusion 360 learning exercise for me....

You got new laptop?

My old laptop is a bit marginal to Fusion, there is one local shop that sells used used business laptops. They promised to message in few days if they have anything suitable under 400€. Free cad does not turn out free.

Pekka

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #85 on: May 23, 2017, 12:51:40 PM »
Pekka, I built a desktop specifically for Fusion - although it's video performance is a bit slow according to Autodesk. It's based on a Dell Optiplex 7010 ultra small form factor base unit that I put a fairly fast SSD in and upped the ram to 8 Gb. It's an i3-3220 running at 3.3 Ghz with 2 cores and 4 logical processors. (The video is on board). It's running Windows 7 64 bit
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #86 on: May 24, 2017, 05:34:15 AM »
Thank you, that sounds like pretty good machine. How well it works?

I was offered a second hand business laptop for 450 EUR. New ones are about the same price, but bit smaller SSD and W10 Home or W7.

HP 250 G5 i3-5005U 15.6inch HD SVA AG 8GB(1x8GB) 256GB SSD DVDRW UMA NO WWAN W10PRO64

2 GHz, 8GB, not that sure about graphics "card" Intel HD Graphics 5500....

Sounds to me slow and expensive.

Desktop probably would come out cheaper vs. performance, but it needs more desk space, monitor, etc. and I could not retire it to my daughter if I loose interest or autodesk will jack up the price.

Pekka

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #87 on: May 24, 2017, 09:10:43 AM »
These days I'm totally confused with cpu names and numbers, cores, logical processors etc - there are just too many variants :bang:

Time was when you had a 286 or a 386 or if you were really flash a 486  :lol: 

The MyHermes girl has just delivered a couple of rolls of PetG filament, so when I've got myself back together (*) I'll go and try  it out.

(* Just had to have the Sow put down, all a bit traumatic as the fellow used a 12 bore rather than the captive bolt gun that I'd expected, and there was blood everywhere - just spent two hours clearing the drains that he blocked so not feeling too fresh  :bang: )
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #88 on: May 24, 2017, 11:53:36 AM »
I was pretty good with those 286/386 PC.s, even rembered some port adresses in Hex, last time I assembled together PC was maybe -95 something, it's all gone grazy.

I better ask some new kids, but it really looks like choices are between facebookhousewife, corporateglueeye or gamingsockontheheadzombi PC:s. Very little ready made PC.s for homeshop machinist 3D cad users....

This forgot to say the most important - graphics cards:
http://blog.grabcad.com/blog/2015/07/28/kick-ass-cad-workstation-build/

How on earth people can afford these? 400€ is on the limit which makes me consider seriously and mull over few days. For non paying use 2000 USD sounds a lot to me of PC. This well served laptop I bought used 160€ and it has served me well from new then W7 to stable nowW10.

Pekka

Pekka

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #89 on: May 24, 2017, 02:52:43 PM »
The Pet-G printing tests were a success  :thumbup:

I printed a pair of the boxes and lids at exactly the same settings as previously when printing in PLA, except that I upped the nozzle temperature to 240 deg C. No heated bed (not turned up yet!) but it seemed to cope OK.

I did notice that the raft was markedly more difficult to peel from the model. To test the size compatibility I tried PLA lids on Pet-G boxes and vice versa and they fitted fine. Subjectively the Pet-G in more flexible.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #90 on: May 24, 2017, 04:41:41 PM »
Those look good. You printed the same design out of PLA and Pet-G? Are they same size?

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #91 on: May 24, 2017, 04:59:26 PM »
I've not actually measured them, but as the lids and boxes are interchangeable I'd be very surprised if they were not essentially identical
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #92 on: May 25, 2017, 11:21:56 AM »
Last year I rigged up a 'Hydroponic Pig Cooler', and had occasion to use it yesterday and today:

http://madmodder.net/index.php/topic,11459.msg134238.html#msg134238

Trouble is, one of the fittings was badly cracked and instead of a mist was giving a spout of water - probably frost over the winter.

So what do you do if you have a 3D printer - print one of course  :lol:

Initially I drew up and printed just a simple end cap to block off the offending outlet while I was drawing up the proper fitting, and this went quite well
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #93 on: May 25, 2017, 11:25:59 AM »
Then I drew up the proper thing, but the spray orifice screws on with a M9 x 1mm pitch thread - rather fine to print and I have no die that size.

Having printed a 'threadless' one I thought that I'd have a go at the thread setting the printer to its finest resolution but still the 0.4 mm nozzle, and to my amazement it produced a working thread  :ddb:

I'm VERY impressed with this printer  :thumbup:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Pete.

« Reply #94 on: May 25, 2017, 12:17:23 PM »
Not surprised, that's bloody good.

Offline Joules

« Reply #95 on: May 25, 2017, 12:49:47 PM »
My work here is done, now any Tom, Dick or Andrew can 3D print quality stuff     :thumbup:
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #96 on: May 25, 2017, 01:05:32 PM »
Joules,

From you I take that as a great compliment, but to me it confirms the decision to buy a printer rather than faff around for weeks trying to get a home brew up and running.

The quality of the print is down to the machine and  the Fusion 360 software
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
« Reply #97 on: May 25, 2017, 01:35:42 PM »
.......The quality of the print is down to the machine and  the Fusion 360 software

And the operator, Andrew!

Offline Joules

« Reply #98 on: May 25, 2017, 01:48:38 PM »
LOL, as I have pretty much preached from the start, even my kit built printers are a lot more work than the ready builds.  If you have end uses, don't waste time reinventing the wheel, though I keep getting drawn to the dark side.

Roll on the Cetus3D being available in the UK from a dealer.
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #99 on: May 26, 2017, 08:11:32 AM »
The uses for this little toy are endless  :ddb:

Wife is knitting a cardigan for very young offspring of a farmer friend - Ba Ba Blacksheep theme complete with picture but bemoaned the fact she couldn't find any suitable buttons - well print some  :lol:

These are 15 mm in diameter - sorry - forgot to include the ruler  :hammer:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex