Author Topic: Hello Fellow Mad Modders  (Read 5064 times)

Offline Mike E.

Hello Fellow Mad Modders
« on: May 21, 2017, 05:24:27 PM »
Hello, I've just joined the forum, and think I might fit in as I've been considered mad for some of my past projects. Unfortunately, I have been told that I have become much more down to earth as the years have gone by, or maybe not ?
Retired now, building a new home, along with a new garage / hobby-workshop to enjoy building some bucket list items that have been on the back burner. Look forward to joining in and contributing when I can.

Mike

California & Wales  - Home, & Home Away

Offline Joules

Re: Hello Fellow Mad Modders
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 05:44:09 PM »
Hi Mike, hope you enjoy a long and fruitful stay here.  Lots to lead you astray.

Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline Mike E.

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 06:13:08 PM »
Thanks Joules, nice to be here. Most of my shop equipment is in storage so it will be a little while before I can get up and running. I enjoy metal working mostly, and over the past few years I have made an effort to purchase a few old school quality machines in fine condition when the opportunities presented themselves. The writing has been on the wall for some time now, and the better manually operated equipment is just so much harder to find nowadays.
Mike

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 02:38:27 AM »
Good to have you aboard Mike.

I well remember the frustration ten years ago of having all my equipment in store whilst things were being built, and knowing I had just the tool for the job but packed deep in a crate a couple of miles away! In fact I came across my two sets of Cembre heavy duty cable crimpers for 35mm plus cable lugs only yesterday, why two? Because the first was packed and the second had to be bought :bang:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Mike E.

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 03:49:27 AM »
Yeah, it can be frustrating at times, especially when the tools you need are in your garage half way across the world, lol; but that's not a problem now as I've shipped most of them here by freighter. Got to say, I'm happy with the power tools that have been available from Lidl and the Aldi stores.
Mike

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 08:58:33 AM »
especially when the tools you need are in your garage half way across the world, lol;

Oh, I can so empathise with that one! Still, I'm back in the UK later this week... just need to get some electrickery wired up and I'll be making excuses not to make stuff again!

Got to say, I'm happy with the power tools that have been available from Lidl and the Aldi stores.

The worst thing about being where I am now (China) is you can buy everything from any one of dozens of shops (40 or 50 "small tool" shops within 5 mins walking distance of where I am sitting right now), and NO easy way of getting them back to the UK! Argh!

Welcome to the Mad Modders! You know that once you're here, you can never leave, right?  :lol: Not that you'd want to, this place is so much more fun than work  :beer:
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline krv3000

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 05:20:10 PM »
hi and welcume

Offline SwarfnStuff

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 02:05:47 AM »
Welcome from downunder too.
John B
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

Offline Mike E.

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 01:58:08 PM »
Thanks for the Welcome !
Mike

Offline Biggles

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2017, 06:28:41 AM »
Welcome to the asylum Mike.  :ddb:

Offline Oldboy