Author Topic: Hello  (Read 3926 times)

Offline Charles

Hello
« on: April 26, 2017, 03:45:22 PM »
Hi all,

Ive been lurking here for a couple of years now so thought i ought to show my face.

I found the forum when i was thinking about buying myself a lathe and stumbled across Andrews Traub rebuild thread - excellent reading, thanks Andrew!

I have a few current projects;
The ongoing renovation of an old wooden sailing yacht, Currently working on a new bowsprit after last winters gales destroyed the old one
Building an FRP composite sea kayak
Converting my milling machine to CNC
& if our house purchase goes through, building a new workshop

I'll try and share a few of these as they progress, hopefully someone will find it interesting

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 03:54:40 PM »
Charles welcome to the forum, good to have you pop your head above the gunwale   :thumbup:

I used to live in Southampton myself - where abouts are you?
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Charles

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 03:57:04 PM »
In Eastleigh at the moment, The new house is in Petersfield, so will be moving that way in a couple of months if all goes well...

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 04:10:07 PM »
Hi Charles!   :wave:

Welcome to the collective :borg:

So.... I want to hear about the FRP sea kayak. I have been debating taking that plunge in a year or so myself.

Also, tell us about your CNC conversion!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Charles

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 05:12:03 PM »
Hi Eric,

The sea kayak is being built in a mold i acquired via eBay, not sure of the design, but about 17' long and quite high volume - which suits me at 6'2"

I built a very light polyester / chopped strand boat from it a couple of years ago which paddled beautifully but regrettably sank on the Solent during a trial paddle, however i did get enough paddling in to convince myself that the design & mold where worthwhile, so I am prepared to invest some better material in another boat

The mold is in 3 parts, a forward and after deck section, and a 1 piece hull. Progress so far is to make the two deck sections, Layup is: Polyester gel coat, then 200g CSM & 450g carbon bi-ax infused with epoxy. I've not been able to balance them on my scales, but i estimate about 5-6Kg total for the deck.

Hull will be Gel, 200g CSM, 300g e-glass twill, 3mm PVC foam, 300g e-glass twill. with some carbon UD down the center and along the gunnels. Biggest challenge with the hull is working out how to fit it into the garage, I've acquired a couple of extra machine tools since i built the last one...

Sorry no pictures, lost them when my last phone died

Offline krv3000

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 05:46:33 PM »
hi and welcome

Offline howsitwork?

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 06:00:34 PM »
hi welcome and keep us updated please on the kayak build.

Ian

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 06:44:01 PM »
In Eastleigh at the moment, The new house is in Petersfield, so will be moving that way in a couple of months if all goes well...

Welcome Charles, you'll find plenty varied participants here!

Hope you enjoy Petersfield - I did much of my Navigation training at HMS Mercury (Leydene / East Meon) - sadly closed now and training moved to SMOPS at Dryad.

Dave (IOM)

Offline Biggles

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2017, 01:18:16 PM »
Hi and Welcome Charles. :wave: