Author Topic: Another Sieg X1 Problem  (Read 3299 times)

Offline oshb5

Another Sieg X1 Problem
« on: May 05, 2017, 06:13:53 AM »
Hi All

I got this X1L with long bed on 6 or more years ago from ARC Stripped and cleaned as well as lapping the beds and slides. Its been a fantastic bit of kit. At first I was tentative in what to take off cut wise but soon found out it would cuff more than you would expect. Iv used it for Cast Iron, Brass a little Steel but mostly Aluminium where I take 3-4 mm cuts about 2-3 mm in width and the feed rate is not that slow either. Iv always thought it would be the gears that gave up. Also the machine has no mods on other than the DROs fitted and is still bog standard.

Right  I came to use it last night and as I turned the speed dial on and only managed around 200 rpm before the unfaulty light lit up and it stopped. This kept happening but I was messing round with the knobs and switched and finally got it up to full speed but as soon as it touched the work the light came on and it stopped and this was with a very fine cut and feed I looked at the brushes and kept trying and trying it and finally got it to do a small cut of about 20 thou or so and at a slow feed rate if I tried to get any more or increase the feed the light would come on and it would stop. Also while the unfaulty light was on if i turned the spindle anticlockwise (reverse direction)  it would jump round a little as if it wanted to start again but that's all. So it would then be back to starting it again and taking things at such a painful rate LOL. I dont know what to think. Its as if its got like a limiter on it now and anything above a set limit the m/c cuts out Could it be the motor control board and one of the components starting to blow or getting weak or could it be the motor on its way out? I just dont know what to try.                                                                                                                                                                       

So if anyone could through any light  on this Id be very grateful or even as to why its just started out of the blue after many great years of operation. Its not as though its compleatly dead but it nearly might as well be with the cuts it can do... So anything you think I can try please or any suggestions please send them this way

Many thanks for listening to my wows
Regards OS

Offline John Rudd

Re: Another Sieg X1 Problem
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 06:49:49 AM »
Hi,
Can you post up,sone photos of the speed control board and of the motor please?
Where about in the world are you ? Its not evident from your profile....( help may just be around the corner).
What does the commutator look like? Is it nice and clean or dirty? Brushes look ok?
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 04:14:20 PM »
I'd check the fuse holder first to make sure its getting the power I had to change the fuse holder on my craftex mill for much of the same reasons.

Offline oshb5

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 09:30:48 PM »
Hi

Thanks for the reply's Im in Derbyshire . But actually closer to Sheffield close to Junction 30 of the M1. As for a photo of the the board and com I will try and get them.. Im also not sure how to get the motor apart as yet.. But will do. I
I did have a fuse blow a few weeks back but replaced it with the correct one. But how can it go from being fine one day then a day later like this it dont make sense? I was thinking it sort of felt like a dry joint sort of problem.
I only had the caps of the brushes off I will have to get them out But next time i will turn the bl%%dy power off cos it packs a right kick.. god knows how I missed that but I did.

So will get the photos in the morning...

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2017, 02:53:27 AM »
.....next time i will turn the bl%%dy power off cos it packs a right kick.. god knows how I missed that but I did.

So will get the photos in the morning...

OS - I'd also suggest leaving it a while after isolating the power to let any charge stored in capacitors on the controller leak away before you touch anything  :zap:

Dave