Author Topic: Which CAD/CAM to learn 3D design and use 3D printer and CNC mill  (Read 18648 times)

Offline PekkaNF

Re: Which CAD/CAM to learn 3D design and use 3D printer and CNC mill
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2017, 04:06:13 AM »
Thank you.

I got laptop, but it weights a lot, like a pavement block and PSU is a brick size.

Elitebook 8570w, Intel Core i7-3720qm, Nvidia Quadro K1000m, 16GB DDR3, 256GB SSD, Windows 10 Professional 64bit, it should do.

I asked around and consensus was that integrated graphics "card" or gaming graphics card will not work well with CAD. Although Fusion360 is not the traditional CAD is should work on that one. Or I'll be very upset.

Pekka

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2017, 03:30:03 PM »
Installation was easy. Working is pretty fast - least on mys simple sandbox :lol:

But my learning is slow.

Another thing I that my screen says "Term ends in 30" days .... bit worrying. I have to google a little to find out if I can downgrade licence to hobby use.

Pekka

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2017, 12:58:20 PM »
Some difficulties using with touchpad.

What kind of mouse is a good choice? Three buttons? Scroll wheel, trackball?

Pekka

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2017, 01:13:04 PM »
I'm using two button plus scroll wheel which seems ok
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2017, 02:09:29 PM »
Logitech.....?

I had one that scroll wheel was the third button, worked well with many programs, but wonder if here click/scroll would interact annoying way.

Pekka

Offline efrench

« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2017, 04:35:29 PM »
Scroll wheel zooms in and out. Press and hold the wheel puts it in pan mode.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2017, 05:31:27 PM »
Yes that's like mine
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2017, 06:53:00 AM »
thank you

Got Logitech marathon M705 from supermarket and got to test it Yesterday. Works.

Pekka

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2017, 09:22:19 AM »
Now I'm on the look out for a decent heavy keyboard - I have several Dell and HP/Compaq ones and they all feature prop up props that collapse, and a lightness that allows them to skid about the desk.

Many years ago I used several original IBM AT enhanced keyboards that were not only reasonably solid, but also had tactile feedback - not appropriate to modern machines but they were solid !
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2017, 12:29:17 PM »
Liked those keyboard too, very nice for typing. if I remember correctly it had steel bottomp plate for heft.

Pekka

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2017, 03:56:49 PM »
We had thousands of them under contract years back. When they failed it was usually a build up of cheese sandwiches, human hair, and coffee spills  :bugeye:

Not sure who dared try it first, but we found that opening them up and putting them in a domestic dish washer sorted at least 75% of faults  :ddb: It was however essential to take them out BEFORE the dry cycle, and allow them to dry out naturally otherwise the plastic bits distorted.

The key tops came out immaculately  :lol:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2017, 04:55:15 PM »
Nver used 3D program before and it shows...I'm on absolute beginner tutorial #3 and got stuck on middel of it.
=608

There are gour locating ribs on the lid....his version is a little diferent on tutorial than I have and some stuff comes out a little difrerently...but today I gost stupped. Made extra plane for sketch drafiting, made the sketch - on wrong plane, probably on origo insted of the offsetted plane and when I tried to assign the sketch onto this auxiliary plane, fusion crashed.

Gave up for tonight....ast hinkking of making an extrusion offset from the box innards, instead of four different ribby things.

Anyways, should make actually something usefull, but I want to follow tutorials first least until I'll get into constraints.

Pekka

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2017, 04:05:53 PM »
Is there an obivous way to make an PCD on fusion?

Say D100mm four holes symmetrically.

i can combine circle and inttersect with a square, but 5 holes or something unusual would take a bit more effort.

Pekka

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2017, 04:42:54 PM »
Create a 'pattern'  round a circular feature
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline efrench

« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2017, 05:11:07 PM »
Is there an obivous way to make an PCD on fusion?

Say D100mm four holes symmetrically.

i can combine circle and inttersect with a square, but 5 holes or something unusual would take a bit more effort.

Pekka

Google says this for PCD: Primary ciliary dyskinesia (PCD).  I'm curious why you would want to model one :dremel:

A circular pattern just needs the geometry to pattern and an axis.  The geometry can be in a sketch or a 3d model which can be a body, face, or component.  It's preferable for performance issues to pattern 3d models instead of sketches.  For example, it's better to sketch one tooth on a gear, extrude it, then do the circular pattern. (Plain spur gears can be made with an add-in script.)

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2017, 12:22:57 AM »
Google does not know ****. But you allready knew it.
http://wheelandtyrepackages.com.au/images/wheel-pitch-circle-diameter.jpg

Tonight another try....learning is not as fast as I though. Took couple hours to draw a plate that has a recess and PCD to mount electric motor + three cylinders to model wheels.

Pekka

Yesh...magical word is "pattern" :doh:

« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 01:44:38 AM by PekkaNF »

Offline JerryNotts

« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2017, 03:32:33 AM »
Andrew,
I had the same problem a while ago, I too remembered the IBM keyboards that came with IBM Systems.

After a lot of searching I came across 'The Keyboard Company' who supply some really good solid keyboards.
And they are a UK company in Gloucestershire, but not UK made keyboards. They know a lot about what they sell and the options.

You might find the prices a (mild) shock if you would normally buy the ones available on the High Street. But for me they are worth every penny.

And they have selection. They even have an up-to-date version of the original IBM keyboard.

I bought, on their recommendation, a Filco FILCKF15 which is as near to the IBM in use as I can recall. You can specify the key tops you want.

You probably know a lot more about keyboards than me, when I ordered the second one, for my CAD system (Inventor) I accidentally ordered with blank key tops!, but the quickly supplied me with the UK tops, but an expensive mistake by me. I should have known better and read the specs more carefully. The first came with a uk set any any way.

Delivery to me in Mansfield is usually overnight, even if I order on Friday afternoon.

Hope this helps

contact details

The Keyboard Company
    Unit 8 Canal Ironworks
    Hope Mills, London Road
    Stroud
    Gloucestershire
    GL5 2SH
    United Kingdom
http://www.keyboardco.com

Tel: 01453 884938

Jerry

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2017, 03:39:03 AM »
Thanks Jerry, I'll give them a call once I've rounded up the cull ewes that are going to market today.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2017, 04:06:44 PM »
OK, PCD was easy when I learned the word "patern" - and that has nothing to thin paper dress makers paterns.

Next problem: I want frame tied up to origo and there is no problem. Standard procedure. BUT I need a line - centre line for a pivot shft on which the multiple part structure (belt sander/grinder) turns.

So I need an auxiliary line to which I can constrain a plane, where multiple parts are tied in relation.

Probably need more fitting names for this "line" and "plane" which are not "sketch", body, part or such but used as a reference plane to tie up parts.

Pekka

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2017, 04:11:43 PM »
Watch Lars's Youtube video on 'Constraints' - items and lines can be defined as specific relationships to each other
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline efrench

« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2017, 05:24:31 PM »
Usually, the best way to model a part is to do it in the place where it fits in the overall design.  This works pretty well until you start changing the design.  Then it's time to start using joints.

In other words, use dimensions and constraints to create the model of a part and joints to position the part/component.  You can use the Align tool to position a body or a component, but the alignment will be lost if the aligned to component is moved.  A joint will maintain the components relative position when one of the individual components is moved.  You can also ground a component so it can't be moved.

Following Rule#1 will help keep the file organized and makes it easier to make modifications later.

Offline chipenter

« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2017, 01:22:28 AM »
I have tried to renew Fushion 360 after 1 year free , and it now wants proof that I am a studant , is there another way to renew .
Jeff

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2017, 02:16:24 AM »
I registered as a hobbyist, and my renewal went through smoothly. The student deal only runs for three years and I'm not a student anyway.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline efrench

« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2017, 02:19:13 AM »
You should be able to register as a hobbiest.  The best place to ask is here.

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2017, 03:29:29 AM »
Usually, the best way to model a part is to do it in the place where it fits in the overall design.  This works pretty well until you start changing the design.  Then it's time to start using joints.

In other words, use dimensions and constraints to create the model of a part and joints to position the part/component.  You can use the Align tool to position a body or a component, but the alignment will be lost if the aligned to component is moved.  A joint will maintain the components relative position when one of the individual components is moved.  You can also ground a component so it can't be moved.

Following Rule#1 will help keep the file organized and makes it easier to make modifications later.

Thank you, some 15 minutes of my work day goes when mechanical designers huff and puff about constraints and such stuff over a cuppa ..... so I should be versed, but is still does not mean that I understand anything. There seems to be a special lingo that sounds like a clear language, but seems to vary from program to program and user to user.

But your advice was clear and I think I got. I always liked the idea of parametric design anyways so using dimensions and offset planes and location from there sounds familiar.

Pekka