Author Topic: test dial indicator types and their uses  (Read 3290 times)

Offline PekkaNF

test dial indicator types and their uses
« on: May 26, 2017, 12:17:54 PM »
I have been using mostly plunger type indicators, whose scale is simple 0-100 type, but I'm seeing advertized 0-100-0 and +/-100 and "dual reading" and what not.

Is there something really usefull on these 0-100-0 types? How are they fundamaentally diferent.

Like Mitutoyo 2110S-10 and  2109S-10 (Something wrong on the pictures, it probably shows only the 0-100-0 model):
http://www.mitutoyo.co.uk/small-tool-instruments-and-data-management/indicators/2110s-10
http://www.mitutoyo.co.uk/small-tool-instruments-and-data-management/indicators/2109s-10

What about the lever type, I have one that the stylys has no clutch and reading is +/- 40 in 0,01 mm graduation. How I am suposed to benefit from it? if I set it halfway from the span it reads "40" at the bottom of the scale and swing is opposite.

I'm not getting it.

pekka

Online philf

Re: test dial indicator types and their uses
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 01:22:49 PM »
Hi Pekka,

I suppose if you're using the dial indicator on a comparator stand the 0-100-0 might be easier to read. Otherwise I think it's down to personal preference and my preference is for the straight 0-100 type.

I have a Mitutoyo lever type indicator and that indicates in either direction. You can rotate the dial so that you get "0" at half travel. I hardly ever use the lever type nowadays.

Phil.
Phil Fern

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 02:01:50 PM »
Thank you Phil,

Hi Pekka,

I suppose if you're using the dial indicator on a comparator stand the 0-100-0 might be easier to read. Otherwise I think it's down to personal preference and my preference is for the straight 0-100 type.

I was thinking this comparator feature on plunger type....I'm not still convinced that it is the only reason.

I have a Mitutoyo lever type indicator and that indicates in either direction. You can rotate the dial so that you get "0" at half travel. I hardly ever use the lever type nowadays.

Phil.

Do you mean that kind of lever indicator that needle turns allways clockwise when stylus moves up or down?

Or that positive is when stylys moves "up"?

Because I have used one that was really confusing...I was convinced that it was a practical joke.

Pekka

Online philf

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 04:50:20 PM »
Do you mean that kind of lever indicator that needle turns allways clockwise when stylus moves up or down?

Or that positive is when stylys moves "up"?

Because I have used one that was really confusing...I was convinced that it was a practical joke.

Pekka

Hi Pekka,

My Mitutoyo lever indicator rotates both ways.

I have a Compac lever indicator which would really confuse you - or at least it confuses me.

The dial is 0-5-0 (where 5 is 0.05mm) - divisions are 0.002mm - there is a subsidiary dial numbered 0 to 7 (8 is the same as 0) which indicates the number of full turns of the main pointer.

There is a 'switch' on the side of the body which selects the direction the probe lever operates in. With the switch in one position the main pointer moves anticlockwise whilst the pointer on the subsidiary dial moves clockwise from 0 to 1 to 2 etc.

With the 'switch' in the other position the main pointer moves clockwise and the subsidiary dial goes anticlockwise from 0 to 7 to 6 etc. back to 0.  :scratch:

I've probably only used it once.

Phil.
Phil Fern