Author Topic: high return financial investment (off topic)  (Read 5409 times)

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
high return financial investment (off topic)
« on: May 28, 2017, 08:14:22 AM »
No, I'm not trying to sell you insurance! but…

I've just bought a new fridge freezer. The old one hadn't missed a beat in 15 years but the fan in the fridge had become a little noisy and i had been monitoring it's power consumption (about 600kwh per annum) so thougut i could find a better one.

After looking around i decided on another bosch , their only 600mm wide A+++ model,  bought from a local retailer for less and quicker than the big shed stores (because they don't stock that model)

checking its power consumption, it is working out to be about the manufacturers specification (maybe a bit less) at about 135kwh per year. Now that represents a saving of more than £50 a year , or about a 10% return on investment  , which is 10% more than you'll get from the bank!

So, got an old fridge ? check its power consumption and do the maths.

Bill

Bill

Offline PekkaNF

Re: high return financial investment (off topic)
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 08:20:09 AM »
The only thing is that new fridges don't last. Incidently my friend bought a Bosch and he sas that it is othervice fine, but it gurgles a lot...he had to move into other bedroom not to wake up on refrigerator snoring.

Pekka

Offline BillTodd

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 09:10:01 AM »
odd, the old one usd to gurgle and clank (sometimes quite loud)   and occasionally woke me in the middle of the night with a annoyinh hum. This new one sort of purrs . For a while i wondered if it was really working.

Bill
Bill

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 09:32:33 AM »
Some old ones thumped when they start or stop, new ones seem to be more cililized on that one. Some people at work complain the newer ones gugle and make wooshes, maybe is tis different refrigegant or something.

Nice taht you got the quiet one. My friend bought some years back nice stainsless steel clean fat american lookking model and he was annoyed. But what is annoying can be very individual thing.

Pekka

Online awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2017, 10:45:28 AM »
We have a 'fridge, and three chest freezers in a well insulated brick built outbuilding used as a utility kitchen room and meat preparation area. Other than the 'fridge and freezers there is no other heating.

Now the chest freezers are fairly modern so their energy rating is reasonable, but the 'fridge is fairly old and clanky, but only gets turned on when I have bacon to dry cure which is perhaps twice a year.

So were I to get super efficient 'fridge and freezers I'd have to arrange some form of heating. Losses are not always total  :lol:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline efrench

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2017, 01:44:22 PM »
No, I'm not trying to sell you insurance! but…

I've just bought a new fridge freezer. The old one hadn't missed a beat in 15 years but the fan in the fridge had become a little noisy and i had been monitoring it's power consumption (about 600kwh per annum) so thougut i could find a better one.

After looking around i decided on another bosch , their only 600mm wide A+++ model,  bought from a local retailer for less and quicker than the big shed stores (because they don't stock that model)

checking its power consumption, it is working out to be about the manufacturers specification (maybe a bit less) at about 135kwh per year. Now that represents a saving of more than £50 a year , or about a 10% return on investment  , which is 10% more than you'll get from the bank!

So, got an old fridge ? check its power consumption and do the maths.

Bill
Price is >$1000, life span is <5 years for new refrigerators. Total cost over 20 years: $3000.  Compare that to >20 year life span of a $200 old refrigerator:  $1200

p.s. The new refrigerator has less labor costs when you factor in making ice cubes  :)

Offline BillTodd

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2017, 06:07:15 PM »
old fridge >£500  running cost £75-100 / year
new fridge £560 running cost <20/year

Why do you believe the life of a new fridge would less than an older one?

Bill

Offline efrench

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2017, 07:23:51 PM »
Mostly because of the last two that I've owned, whereas the one my parents owned lasted much more than 20 years  :zap:

Offline hermetic

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2017, 03:05:58 PM »
Why do you believe the life of a new fridge would less than an older one?

Unfortunately Bill. manufacturers stopped making their products better a long time ago, and started to make them cheaper to manufacture instead. I  have recently replaced a less than 2 year old Bosch washing machine, out of warranty, and tub support spider has failed. I used to repair domestic appliances, and even I blanched at the youtube repair ! Plastic tub, held together with about 8 bolts, and about twenty plastic lock tabs, it suggested cutting the tabs off with a wood chisel and using just the bolts for rebuild, given that and the cost of parts, I scrapped it and bought a Gorenje from a local trader who is part of the Euronics chain. It has a five year warranty, and was about the same price as the Bosch. Be very careful of claimed energy efficiency. you usually find this economy will only be obtained at a particular setting. With fridges, this usually means it has to be set low enough  so it would only keep food fresh for a couple of days  in winter, you mustnt open the door, keep it absolutely full, and run it in a cold room like an outhouse or garage. I bought a Bauchnecht fridge freezer with a very high energy rating, it worked reasonably for about a year, (till the warranty was out) then went downhill over the next couple of years to the point where food went off after a couple of days in summer, even at the lowest setting, which is NOT economical. seems like the idea of one compressor for fridge and freezer, saves on energy, but wastes food! Replaced that with a Gorenje (three year warranty) and when it arrived, it is an identical fridge freezer, obviously made in the same factory, but with a blower in the back of the fridge, and so far, it is ok. Many of the brands we used to know and trust in the UK are now absorbed into the massive italian appliance manufacturer, Merloni, A complex operation, with two distinct companies, run by the sons of the original founder, and now largely bankrupt. If you buy  Hotpoint, Ariston Zannussi , Candy, Indesit, or any of these
    ASKO
    Servis
    Hygena
    Diplomat
    Electra
    Whirlpool
    Caravelle
    Erwin Bonn
    Ignis
    Homark
    Powerpoint
    Proline
    CDA
    Hoover
    Candy
The chances are you are buying Merloni! As someone who has spent a great deal of my life repairing domestic appliances, I can tell you that the quality has never been lower, and is getting worse year on year! There is no answer, and it seems to apply to everything electrical or electronic.
Man who says it cannot be done should not disturb man doing it! https://www.youtube.com/user/philhermetic/videos?

Offline PK

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2017, 05:38:01 PM »
Am I the only one who finds this odd?
he had to move into other bedroom not to wake up on refrigerator snoring.

Dare I ask why he needed a refrigerator in his bedroom?

PK

Offline BillTodd

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2017, 06:44:41 PM »
Am I the only one who finds this odd?
he had to move into other bedroom not to wake up on refrigerator snoring.

Dare I ask why he needed a refrigerator in his bedroom?

PK

and why,indeed, was he asleep on it??????
Bill

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2017, 01:06:41 AM »
The kitchen is on second floor, hallway, and bedroom across...sort of "duplex" i.e. two family house.

Slight OT?

Pekka

Offline BillTodd

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2017, 03:51:58 AM »
The kitchen is on second floor, hallway, and bedroom across...sort of "duplex" i.e. two family house.

Slight OT?

Pekka
[/quote

Sorry Pekka,  it was just a couple of native english speakers having fun with the literal meaning of your sentance.
Bill

Offline BillTodd

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2017, 04:08:24 AM »
@hermetic

Yes I agree many modern appliances seem to have been fine tuned to fail just outside their warranty period. Complicated items  like washing machines seem to suffer badly from economic redesigns. 

My beko washing machine , bought because. I got fed up with repairing the hoover machine has been fine but,  that was bought when beko was new to the market and perhaps more careful - my beko dryer has of course exploded!  (mains input filter went bang while i was next to it, fortunately, so i was able to switch it off and fix it before the house burned)

The new fridge appears to be built to the same standards as the old one , same metal box (just as heavy) , same plastic interior (a bit more polystyrene perhaps), the cooler rad looks identical, same refrigerant (r600a)  and, externally, the compressor looks the same - it is much quieter so must be different inside. I'll hope it lasts as long as the old one.

Bill

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2017, 04:11:14 AM »
Sorry Pekka,  it was just a couple of native english speakers having fun with the literal meaning of your sentance.

No problem, I suspected something like that...I confuse myself and everybody around me with more than two languages and make no apologies :loco: :lol:

Today there is very little need for fridge (+9C here) but if week-end comes nice, it's good to have cool beer while barbecuing and running summer simulations.

Pekka

Offline hermetic

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2017, 02:56:47 PM »
 Just done some research on Beko, they seem to have based their business on some very dodgy double entendres!!
Beko PLC

Beko PLC Brands include: Beko, Grundig, Leisure, Blomberg and Flavel.

BEKO plc is a subsidiary of Arçelik A.S. established in 1955, Arçelik is one of the largest household appliance producers in Europe. It is also the leading home appliances brand in Turkey, offering extensive and innovative ranges of both home appliances and consumer electronics. Today, Beko PLC provides products to consumers in over 100 countries worldwide.
Beko Plc Beko Grundig Leisure Blomberg Flavel
About Arçelik

Arçelik is part of a large multinational group called Koç Holding, which is Turkey's biggest industrial and commercial conglomerate and one of the top 500 largest companies in the world. Arçelik has ten production plants in three different countries and owns thirteen international companies and nine brands.

You really couldn't make it up could you! I am also posting this to VIZ!
Man who says it cannot be done should not disturb man doing it! https://www.youtube.com/user/philhermetic/videos?

Offline BillTodd

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2017, 03:03:54 PM »
 :D wonderful  :lol:
Bill