Author Topic: Wiring for Chinese digital LED Tacho  (Read 6340 times)

Offline paulmo101

Wiring for Chinese digital LED Tacho
« on: May 30, 2017, 02:43:29 PM »
Hi
I have just ordered a digital Tacho via Ebay for my lathe spindle and I have read that most of these seem to arrive with no wiring instructions for the sensor to the tacho readout and I was wondering if anyone on here has set one of these up?
The unit I have ordered is http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-Digital-LED-Blue-Tachometer-RPM-Speed-Meter-Hall-Proximity-Switch-Sensor-NPN-/262842708255  and I have found a youtube video of someone fitting a SIMILAR unit to a fan 
&t=203s iresBUT this tacho only has 4 connections and 3 wires fitted which looks OK.  My unit ( in the photo on ebay) has a ribbon type cable with 5 wires coming out and the sensor has 3 wires.  I have found something on another video which suggests wiring PIN 1 on Tacho to power + and brown on the sensor.  PIN 2 on Tacho to power - and Blue on the sensor PINS 3 and 4 not used and PIN 5 on Tacho to Black ( I think signal wire) on the sensor.  Just wondering if that sounds OK and hopefully someone has used one of these and can confirm?
Thanks for reading

Offline John Rudd

Re: Wiring for Chinese digital LED Tacho
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 03:17:47 PM »
Ok, wired these before.....

Connect your supply ( 5 or 12v whatever is required.....) 1 is +, 2 is -, pin 3 is the sensor ground connection, pin 5 is the sensor signal wire.

The sensor wires are brown, black and blue.....

Black is the signal wire, connect to pin 5, the brown and blue wires connect to 1 and 3 respectively....

Hope it all goes wll for you.... :zap:
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline seadog

• NE London
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 07:43:31 PM »
Here's the diagram I got with mine.

Offline paulmo101

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 01:34:29 PM »
Thanks for the replies -
John - The answer is great the only part i dont really understand is pin 3 Sensor ground  - sorry not sure what this means or where it would physically connect to any chance you can expand on that?
Seadog thanks for the drawing - I think thats the one in the ebay video - it only has 4 connections at the tacho end and I think mine will have 5 but most seems the same except signal wire to pin 5 instead of pin 4

Thanks again for the replies

Offline paulmo101

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 02:15:10 PM »
Hi John - just reread (properly this time) and I now see that you say sensor ground BLUE goes to pin 3 on Tacho - thanks for that I will try that configuration when it arrives.  Confused me at first  as I read that blue sensor wire went to Pin2 and DC supply negative   Your wiring makes more sense.

Thanks again

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017, 08:56:49 AM »
So, is your  tacho up and running?
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors