Gallery, Projects and General > Neat Stuff

DIY water jet cutter

(1/2) > >>

nrml:
A very cool project and excellent explanation of the process as well :thumbup:. Well worth watching.

Joules:
I was totally inspired, and being utterly MAD...    Here is my water jet cutter, it can cut bread just like the one in the video.

In fact, I think mine is far better being totally self contained and portable.

SwarfnStuff:
Hi All,
       I watched that video recently and if I recall correctly he cuts Plywood, Bread and Aluminium. Oh. and Styrofoam.
      I don't recall him mentioning cutting steel and his Ali was 1/16" thick from memory.

So, can you cut steel with it? And how thick is the max cut depth on Ali?
 I'm not sure about bread, don't like my sangas soggy.  :lol:
John B

PekkaNF:
I tought it was pretty cool and worth watching. He demostrated that it needs some serious pressure and consideration. Best garnet feeding explanation I have seen.

Only thing bas that he was very casual about the dangers of high hydraulic pressure. In reality i is something to be very worried. If you think there is nothing to it google "hydraulic injection injury".

Bread is very often cut commercially with water jet.

Plasma cutters seem to be more cost competite when it comes cutting thick metals - both hobby level, but palsma is not choise for plywood, foam etc. Laser is for some. Some sort sheet metal cutting device might be nice, but at my hobby level band saw is hard to beat.

Inteesting to see what is the next big thing after 3D printters?

Pekka

nrml:

--- Quote from: PekkaNF on June 03, 2017, 03:29:43 AM ---
Only thing bas that he was very casual about the dangers of high hydraulic pressure. In reality i is something to be very worried. If you think there is nothing to it google "hydraulic injection injury".

Pekka

--- End quote ---

You should check out some of his other videos. He does the coolest home shop/lab projects and experiments I have ever seen. My jaw was literally hanging open (in amazement) when I watched some of his videos. After watching a lot of his videos I would say he comes across as someone who has a very good understanding of the risks involved but he doesn't make a point of broadcasting a safety message in every video. Watch his video on making aerogel with supercritical methanol for some truly scary stuff.

You made a good point about hydraulic injection injuries. I saw a man who developed this problem in both legs after jet washing his newly laid patio wearing flip flops. The cement residue driven into his skin gave him multiple non healing painful ulcers on both legs. He ended up having both legs amputated a few years later.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version