Author Topic: Do we have any model boat builders on the forum ?  (Read 9232 times)

Offline Joules

Do we have any model boat builders on the forum ?
« on: August 25, 2016, 06:35:11 AM »
I used to build plank on frame models (Billings) in my YOOF....   I was looking at some scale speed boats when I happened on this, and fell madly in love with this model.

http://www.152vo.de/index.php/forum/single-steps/1672.html

The guy does a fantastic job on the build thread, and leaves me a little surprised he didn't build the lower part of the outboard motor, but he is forgiven.  If you can't bear the whole thread jump to the last 12 pages....

I would love to build something like this, CNC made parts.   The plan is FREE, just need to convert it to a CAD based model for routing or laser cutting.   Anyone fancy a group build, seems a shame to do the work for a one off.
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Offline mexican jon

Re: Do we have any model boat builders on the forum ?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 07:32:12 AM »
That was 1 hell of a good read  :lol: The detail level is something else  :drool: :drool:
People say you only live once ! I say thank F@*K can't afford to do it twice.

Offline wagnmkr

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 06:50:26 AM »
Incredible detail and a very interesting description.

Tom

Offline Joules

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 07:06:49 AM »
The site is just full of gems

http://152vo.de/index.php/forum/aussenborder/1743-3d-construction-evinrude-4-60.html

This style of build being particularly close to my heart.  I love the fact they have incorporated google translate into the website.

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 07:44:42 AM »
I'm building the River Queen by Vic Smead.....based on the African Queen, steam driven...I'll post up some snaps when I get home...
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline millwright

• Leeds West Yorshire
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 06:36:03 PM »
 :beer:well done Joules what great read really enjoyed it. thought i would just vhave a quick look and ended up reading it all. got the site bookmarked for another day. and a what a great build its looks a beauty.
the last boat i built was Vic Smeeds Suzie Q an off shore power boat running on a Rip Max bullet 30 and 16 sub c cells, for the first test i filled the bath held the boat steady and my son opened the throttle !!!!!!!!!!! ive never seen a bath empty as quick  :bugeye: fortunately i was able to clean it all up before it did any damage and before wife saw it. I sold it not long after to finance a new RC car without it ever getting wet again. shame really it was a nice boat. still have the plans somewhere just dont seem to get the time these days to build another.

John

Offline Joules

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2016, 07:38:16 AM »
What happens, you get inspired, you dream a little and suddenly, a whole night has disappeared and up on the CAD screen is another drawing   :palm:

Ok, it was lust at first sight (again) and then the plans turned up for free.

Well enough of them to start lofting some curves, honest, that was all I was going to do.........   Nothing worth having comes FREE

But the curves generated from the above data proved horrible as can be seen in the white jagged lines indicating curvature, so I spent a bit longer tweaking them in 2 dimensions.

Mmmm the deck lines had hollows in them, well it won't take much longer, and a hot coffee will see me through.

Wasn't so bad, and I've not finished my coffee yet.

More duff curves !!!   Boy these guys really drew plans as guides, then relied on bendy bits of timber to bridge the gaps.  :scratch:

Some considerable time after the coffee had gone, I generated the 3D curves from the now much improved 2D curves.  OK, that's it even the dog is telling me to bugger off....

But, I couldn't leave it, I just had to know.....   With much fettling of surfaces and working out order of trimming overlapping parts I got the grail...   Watertight 3D model, I can 3D print a huge one or take frames off this model for accurate CNC routing, oh yeah as thats fixed I could waste more time calibrating it with bits of the above.

Rhino is actually, very good for boat and ship design, it is used commercially in those applications.  It has some very useful hydrostatic functions for calculating CG, waterline etc.  It's been a long time since I drew up a boat and was as much a challenge to see if I could remember how.   Don't think I forgot that much.

Oooh sun's up, better go to bed. 
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 08:34:49 AM by Joules »