Author Topic: New ball bearings to Festo OF-900 router  (Read 3491 times)

Offline PekkaNF

New ball bearings to Festo OF-900 router
« on: June 18, 2017, 01:37:59 PM »
I actually need some advice here.

I'm ordering few bearings and desiced to rip this 20 years old (least) router appart. The bearings started squeling.

Fan end bearing is "England" NSK 6003V C3.

Tail end bearing is open 608

Not the most standard ones, but this is a router after all.

Pretty much only thing I know for a fact, that grease lubrication/RS-seals are at their limit here.

Any advice?

Pekka

Offline millwright

• Leeds West Yorshire
Re: New ball bearings to Festo OF-900 router
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 02:28:10 PM »
The  6003v bearing are 17x35x10 according to what I've found. I can recommend  this company for price and  speed. Also various grades  of quality. https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/advanced_search_result.php?sort=2a&search_in_description=0&keywords=6003+17x35x10mm&x=0&y=0&gclid=COWnpr2AyNQCFai77QodSgQBQw usual disclaimer. And they ship internationally.                                                 John.

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 02:59:16 PM »
Thank you.

This router business was not that easy...NSK 6003V, seems to be a bit special on that respect that is more balls (no gage) than normal one, probably to give bigger load rating.

For SKF 6003V is high temp bearing, bit different animal

Here the speed is also an issue i.e. low friction seals and larger than normal clearance.

Went for SKF 6003-2RSL/C3, looks about right....Maybe is not the best, but hardly not the worst.

Tail end has two wave washers to keep the bearing loaded and quiet running, went for SKF C3 bearing. Now I only have to figure how to get that tail bearing out without breaking the plastic dust seal. Thinkking of clamp to hold outer race and press the rotor out.

Pekka

Offline vintageandclassicrepairs

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 03:58:06 PM »
Hi Pekka,
I have a puller designed to remove bearings like that
It has a collet type gadget with little claws that catch the race,different collets for each bearing size

A simple way is to break the bearing outer by squeezing in the vice !!!
then its easier to grip the inner race
Usually these bearings are not tight, so gripping in the lathe chuck and pull on the rotor may work

John

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 01:22:45 AM »
Thank you.

I'll try first the lathe chuck thing. I think I could mount a 6 mm rod on the rotor original spindle, put that on tailstoc drill chuck and use that to pull straight it probably does not need much force.

I have seen collet type pullers to pull out bearing from blind hole. I.E. ti grips inside. Haven't seen ones that grip outside. Sounds like a good idea.

Pekka

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 02:55:30 PM »
John,

You should be granted a proper title, something like Earl of Cork, Knight of small bearing extraction :wave:

I mounted 8 mm roll pin on the router rotor collet chuck, then took it to the lathe. Nipped the 608 bearing on three jaw chuck and pin on drill chuck. Very moderate force at the tail stock extreacted the bearing.

Thank you.

Those bearings are not what they look.

1: The commutator end bearing has outside rubber seal removed, no markings on metal parts, but on rubber seal that was facing the commutator had following marking: England, 608D, NMB.

2: The collet side bearing has a rubber seal on both sides, that seal has following marking: England, NSK, 6003V. Outter rim has C3 clearance markings. I removed rubber seal and it revealed very normal ball bearing with pressed and riveted steel gage.

Grease on bothe bearings looked spent, the thickener was visibly lumpy, Could have much of the oil churned out and couse rolls to glide? Would that cause scream at start and stop. Short squeal.

Anyway, ordered some bearings and see if they work.

Pekka

Offline vintageandclassicrepairs

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 05:28:45 PM »
Hi Pekka,
You should be granted a proper title, something like Earl of Cork, Knight of small bearing extraction :wave:
:beer:  :lol:
I spent much of my "career"  as a maintenance spark/ instrument tech,
fettling all sorts of electrical power tools was an all too common task
The puller graduated to my personal tool box during that time  :palm:

John