The Breakroom > The Water Cooler

Measurement Terminology

(1/5) > >>

Homebrewer:
Hi all!  I've been lurking for a while.  I'm mainly here to read and learn since I'm  couped up in a 3rd floor apartment and have no room for hobbies. 

In reading as many forum posts as I do around the Interwebs, I notice there a great many citizens of The Commonwealth who dabble in machining.  What I find interesting is that you gentlemen seem to alternate back-and-forth between Metric and Imperial measurement quite frquently. 

I am curious: is Imperial measurement still taught outside the US? Or is it simply a relic of a bygone era that's just carrying over to today?  I've been to Canada a few times and all the measurements I saw there were metric.  I had the metric system drilled into my head in grade school so I understand it...and one's as good as the other I suppose.  I guess I'm just commenting on something I find curious.

Cheers,

Jason

chipenter:
I lerned on inperial but it depends on wich side of a tape I use .

SwarfnStuff:
Hi and welcome Jason.

Here is OZ everything is metric and originally they wanted to stop the sale of imperial rules etc. Didn't last too long.
        Being of the old codger age I swap back and forth but much prefer metric. Everything is divisible by 10, just keep track of the decimal point though.

I also had the advantage of working in a textile laboratory and although initially we used Oz drams etc we went metric way before the government thought it a good idea. All science labs that I know of are metric oriented.

As I understand it the USA is officially metric but many choose to stay with imperial.

That said, I think that Australia (OZ) is only one of three countries in the world that drive on the left of the road. Could easily be wrong on that score though.
Welcome again.

John B

awemawson:
Japan, Malta, U.K.,Australia are LHD and I suspect that there may be a few others, possibly the Falkland Islands and Ascension Island, also maybe Tristan da Cunha ?

howsitwork?:
Isn't Ireland LHD as well?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version