Author Topic: I've killed my Boford lathe - help!  (Read 4744 times)

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
I've killed my Boford lathe - help!
« on: July 04, 2017, 05:51:49 PM »
Hi guys, I've been busy with home projects and building conservatories and stuff that I've not really done much. I've also been building a koi pond which has kept me busy! Anyway, just got in very angry with myself after a rare hour in my workshop.

I have no excuse and no where to hide, I made an error. I turned my lathe on with the back gear engaged. Now I've got an awful banging noise once on each rotation and no power to the chuck...the tool in the workpiece just stop the chuck.

I'll obviously have to start investigating tomorrow but in the mean time, anyone predict or suggest what I have likely done? I've never dismantled the headstock before so not even sure what is in there!

Any help appreciated.

Chris

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
Re: I've killed my Boford lathe - help!
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 10:59:41 PM »
So sorry, Chris, I'm hoping it's something simple like a shear pin some where. Fingers crossed for you!  :(
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline seadog

• NE London
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 04:23:33 AM »
Which model are you talking about Chris. Switching it on in back gear shouldn't be a problem.

Offline RussellT

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 04:43:41 AM »
Hi Chris

I assume you mean that you engaged back gear but didn't move the front lever to disengage the chuck.

I've done that loads of times - all that happens is the belt slips.  However it sounds like something more serious has happened in your case.  I'd guess from your description that the sliding bit on the spindle that locks the pulley to the spindle is not engaging properly.  There are a couple of pins that engage in holes.  The first thing I'd try is moving the lever on the front - beyond it's detents if necessary.  It's a long time since I took mine to pieces so I can't remember all the details but it doesn't sound fatal.

Russell
Common sense is unfortunately not as common as its name suggests.

Offline chipenter

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 11:56:44 AM »
Sounds like you have broken the pin engaging the pully or backgear .
Jeff

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 03:11:18 PM »
Hi guys, thanks for your replies. Yes I've done it a couple of times and the belt has just slipped. I'll have a proper look this weekend and expect I'll post more on here for help when I can see what is what! Thanks for the diagram.

It's a boxford model A

Offline GoFish

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 02:34:26 AM »
Hello,
        It's a bit late now but I have a routine that was whacked into me as an apprentice in that I never walk away from a machine until it is in neutral, E-stop engaged, lights off, DRO,(if fitted) off and power off, in fact everything needed to make the machine run put in a state that means everything has to be checked before it can be turned on. Apart from stopping me making a stuff up due to brain fade it also makes it very hard for  another person,(who should not be tu-tuing with my stuff anyway), to start anything.
  Above procedure takes seconds and has made me check and avoided mistakes when I have had to stop a job for unexpected reasons.
  I hope there is no serious damage but in consolation there is nothing like a reason to blueprint aye?

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 09:15:29 AM »
Good for you, then.
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline Biggles

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 10:14:35 AM »
I agree with the general sentiment of others it seems like a shear pin, which I have done on the Harrison.   :Doh: