Author Topic: Indexing Dial  (Read 8021 times)

Offline chipenter

Indexing Dial
« on: July 09, 2017, 06:38:01 AM »
Out of over 300 lines of G code I put a C insted of an X , turn it off and start again .
Jeff

Offline Pete.

Re: Indexing Dial
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 06:47:17 AM »
Arg, I hate it when that sort of thing happens.

Seems like a lot of lines of code for such a repetitive task Jeff.

Offline chipenter

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 09:30:23 AM »
100 lines on the dial x+ x- e+3.6 three moves per line on the dial , very first job on the mini mill still learning big time .
Jeff

Offline sparky961

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 10:41:52 AM »
100 lines on the dial x+ x- e+3.6 three moves per line on the dial , very first job on the mini mill still learning big time .

This is a perfect application for a macro. If you tell us what controller/gcode type, there's a good chance I could offer assistance creating a short one.

Offline chipenter

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 12:31:14 PM »
This is Arduino running Marlin and does not support M98 call macro , wrote it with word pad copy and paste a block at a time , if I knew how to put the numbers I would do that but will have to stamp them .
Jeff

Offline sparky961

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 12:47:21 PM »
When I searched for GCode capabilities, I got here: http://reprap.org/wiki/G-code

After looking through it, I'm beginning to see why you went the long route.  It doesn't appear as though there are any macro or subroutine capabilities.  That's very limiting.

My second choice would be to write a short program that generates the long code you need.  There's still a debugging curve though, so you might end up spending more time this way.  However, when you get it right you can use it as a template for future programs that are repetitive in nature, like cutting gear teeth.

Offline chipenter

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2017, 04:08:28 PM »
I have no idea of the cutting caperbilities of the machine , and have tried to finish at the start point , that way I can increse the cut a bit at a time , first cut was 0.2mm and it souinded ok with that .
Jeff

Offline fatal-exception

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 05:27:26 PM »
For simple indexing like that I use Excel to generate the code. No errors that way, and lightening fast to change if you want something different.

You could also look into using subroutines and indexing a value in the routine each time you call it. If you have the Mach3 manual, I think there's some examples of how to write simple subroutines.

Paul