Author Topic: Edgwick lathe update  (Read 4361 times)

Offline mat9900

Edgwick lathe update
« on: August 03, 2017, 08:14:03 AM »
Hi again, restoration on the edgwick is proceeding slowly- work and family life seem to have a habit of keeping you out of the workshop!   I have managed to strip the clutch/brake assembly, had the brake discs relined by a small firm in shrewsbury, so that side of things all working fine now.  Also done a complete rewire with new starter and reversing switch, so have done something with it other than used it

My next problem is both the micrometer dials are rusted beyond reading- which has made using the lathe somewhat tricky! Does anyone have any advice or info on sourcing replacements please? I had thought (well more hoped) that they would clean up but sadly they are too far gone :(

Offline Pete W.

Re: Edgwick lathe update
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 09:54:01 AM »
According to folklore, one inch of iron/steel makes thirteen inches of rust.  If you can remove that rust without affecting the steel you will probably be pleasantly surprised how well the dials come up.

My own preference is for chemical removal rather than abrasive or wire brush wheel methods.  I previously used citric acid with some success but recently discovered that Amazon stock Evaporust, often used by the YouTube fraternity so I intend to try that.  Some folks swear by electrolysis but I haven't tried that yet.

The reason I avoid abrasives or wire wheels is that they tend to remove the iron or steel as well as the rust which is undesirable.  If the underlying metal is soft and pitted, the wire brush wheel can smear the metal over the tops of the pits, leaving the surface shiny and apparently rust-free while the rust actually still lurks in the pits to break out later.

One problem with chemical methods of rust removal is that following the treatment the metal surface is left absolutely clean and will 'flash' with rust in seconds.  My approach to this is to rinse with Methylated Spirits to remove any moisture and then to oil prontissimo!

I'm afraid that none of the above will help you if removing the rust reveals peeling chrome!! 
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline Pete.

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 01:50:09 PM »
Get a wire brush for your bench grinder - it will bring out the shine on anything.

Offline ddmckee54

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 01:59:28 PM »
I was watching an episode of Physics Anonymous a couple of days ago, the episode where they were tearing down the chuck on the lathe they are rebuilding.  They tried several methods of rust removal, mechanical abrasion, Evaporust, electrolysis, and something else - I believe it was drain cleaner?  They then compared the results, both the electrolysis and the Evaporust got rid of all the rust, but the Evaporust seemed to leave all the surfaces with an etched appearance.  While the electrolysis left the polished machined surfaces smooth and shiny.  The drain cleaner didn't do anything, and as expected the mechanical abrasion left scratch marks on the surfaces.

Maybe they left the parts in the Evaporust too long, or it might just be another reason to give electrolysis a shot.

Don
Too many irons, not enough fire.

Offline mattinker

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 02:13:03 PM »
On my Edgwick the engraving on the dials is very faint. polished up with paint in the engravings they would be reasonably clear. I'm sorry, I can't help you with new ones, I don't know of any parts for these lathes!

Good luck, Matthew

Offline Houtenkrullen

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 02:17:14 PM »
My next problem is both the micrometer dials are rusted beyond reading- which has made using the lathe somewhat tricky! Does anyone have any advice or info on sourcing replacements please? I had thought (well more hoped) that they would clean up but sadly they are too far gone :(

Since you didn't include a picture I am not sure this is helpful, but if possible I would clean up the surface (chuck it in a lathe?) and then put it on a dividing head or the likes and "scratch"  new lines on the mill or even drill press (locked spindle) with something like a boring bar, and then punch the numbers.

In fact I have a dividing attachment for my lathe, so I have made replacement dials by turning and then scratching the lines with a thread cutting bit in the toolholder in the same setup. Length of lines was set with stop on the bed and different "distance blocks" for the shorter lines. But since most people don't have this option the previous mentioned way probably is the way to go.
Peter

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 02:56:09 PM »
From memory the Edgwick is 250 divisions so not an easy. One. To buy

Home and workshop might have some 250 dials to sell
John Stevenson

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2017, 09:26:28 AM »
From memory the Edgwick is 250 divisions so not an easy. One. To buy

Home and workshop might have some 250 dials to sell

200 on the 'thou dials IIRC, I don't know about ze French versions.
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline mat9900

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2017, 03:57:53 AM »
Hi, thanks for the info guys. I think they are too far gone for it to work but will try the electrolysis idea- if for no other reason than I have never tried it before and there is nothing to lose! Will let you know how it works out!
Thanks, Matt