Author Topic: Hello from Bristol  (Read 3411 times)

Offline Fergal

Hello from Bristol
« on: August 09, 2017, 07:17:45 AM »
Hi all

Just got myself a used Amadeal CJ18 7x14 mini lathe. The previous owner has done a few upgrades like new taper headstock bearings, metal gears etc, but apart from that the lathe doesn't look like it's had much use.

I've always enjoyed making things and I've recently started metalworking as a hobby as I find my day job in software development rather unsatisfying in that regard. I bought a DC TIG welder and taught myself how to weld as part of a campervan conversion I'm currently working on. The welding naturally led on to machining and that's when I decided I needed a lathe!

It's the first time I've touched a lathe since I was at school 35 years ago! The machine needs a bit of tweaking as I'm getting a lot of chatter at the moment, but fiddling with it is all part of the fun! I intend to do a few of the popular mods to the lathe to make it more usable and precise, but my first project will probably be that old favourite, the machinist's hammer.

Cheers

Fergal

Offline Pete W.

Re: Hello from Bristol
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 08:34:21 AM »
Hi there, Fergal,

Welcome to Mad Modders!   :mmr:   :mmr:

If your lathe is suffering from chatter, is it because the head-stock bearings need adjustment or is it because the cross and top-slde gib strips need adjustment?  It looks as though you have some detective work to do but I'm sure you will get lots of help and advice here - I always have.

Please have a look in the 'Gallery' department at the thread about resizing photos. 
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline krv3000

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 09:40:31 PM »
hi and welcome

Offline Mike E.

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 05:29:04 AM »
Hello, and Welcome from another recent member.   :wave:
Mike

California & Wales  - Home, & Home Away

Offline Biggles

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 12:23:58 PM »
Welcome Fergal, have fun with the hammer project. slow and easy mate; don't forget safety.  :dremel: