Author Topic: De-lurk, or, the coming out of Bluechip  (Read 10071 times)

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
De-lurk, or, the coming out of Bluechip
« on: May 16, 2009, 07:59:43 PM »
Hi folks ...

Nice site, interesting posts, with a good spread of subjects.

About  me ..

Ex. RAF, Plessey, NCR, IBM, Masstor, ADIC,  & other ( more, or less, reputable) outfits. Decision yours  ::)
Been into lathes & things since about 1970. Bought a Myford ML7/T in '71 to make bits for bikes, ( had Ariel NH 350, Velo Viper Clubman, Vincents, Triumph Trophy, Ducati Sebring, Triumph T140V, Honda 400/4 ).
In times ( long ) past did Mullard Valve Amps, 5-10, 5-20, made HAC 1/2 valve S/W Radios, Had a HRO, (not a Qualified Ham tho. ).
In the mid 70's made a couple of Hot-Air engines. First was thrown together from any bits I had hanging about, hideous thing, ran about 1000rpm. Second was beautifully engineered, a credit to it's maker, and could hardly drag itself around.  Also made a compressed air engine, piston-operated valve, subsequently converted to cam-operated uniflow-ish, then stopped until recently.
Got a Myford S7 about 4 years ago, now have a Warco WM16 Mill, and intend to get back into things mechanical, or electro-mechanical  anyway.
Current projects, an add-on for a Digital Multi-meter to use it as a Digital Tachometer, and a Radial Dirod. ( you'll have to look that one up !). Did make a Bonetti Generator as per 'DavesWimshurst', a few years ago, but I knackered it two years ago, by trying to dry it out. Heat warped the discs !! (6mm x 400mm dia.  Polycarbonate, not going back to make another pair).

Pretty much it really, not much for 64 years, had I known I wouldn't have bothered and stayed in bed ...

Thanks to Old Biker UK for reminding me of Elias and his Zig Zag Jive Flutes, Tom Hark IIRC  ..

Another Dave D. from Derbyshire    :wave:  true ... disturbing  possibly, but nontheless it's true ...

I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
Re: De-lurk, or, the coming out of Bluechip
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 08:11:32 PM »
Hi Dave!

Welcome to the collective :borg:

Still have a bike? The Ducati Sebring is a nice looking bike. Bike nut myself. Basically anything with 2 wheels... I do tend to lean towards the sport side... Though I do like Cafes! Not a big chopper fan... bobbers yes.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 08:11:55 PM »
Nice intro, welcome aboard another David.... :bang:

Sounds like your gonna fit right in  :thumbup:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 08:13:09 PM »
Eric,

Whats a bobber?

I'm into bikes and I've not heard that one  :scratch:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 08:16:34 PM »
Eric,

Whats a bobber?

I'm into bikes and I've not heard that one  :scratch:

A bobber is a style of old school chop. Seems to be making a resurgence though...

An example

Sorry for going  :offtopic: on your intro Dave!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 09:47:08 PM »
Dave,

You sound like a person that will fit right in with those deversified interests.

Welcome to the collective.  :borg:

Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2009, 01:22:23 AM »
Welcome aboard the cube David

Eric  :wack: Stew

Sounds like your into a wide range of things  :proj: just join in and have some fun

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2009, 02:31:14 AM »
Hi Dave!

With a past history like yours, you`ll fit in here perfectly.......  :thumbup:

Where you go from here may be another story...... But, tell it with lots of pics.  :D

Another Dave D? And local!  :scratch:  Hmmmm........  ::)

I`m really, David J....... But that`s another story.......

Join in , have fun..... It`s nice `ere!  :clap:

David D

David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2009, 02:59:01 AM »
Welcome to the Borg collective  :borg: Dave.

:worthless:

We need to see your work

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2009, 05:03:09 AM »
Hi Dave  :wave:

CC

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2009, 06:03:50 AM »
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline TFL45

• Model Steam Engine Construction - Novice
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2009, 01:26:43 PM »

Pretty much it really, not much for 64 years, had I known I wouldn't have bothered and stayed in bed ...

Current projects, an add-on for a Digital Multi-meter to use it as a Digital Tachometer,

Hi Dave. Welcome aboard from a newbie.  :wave: What! stayed in bed and missed all that! :ddb:

Quite the eclectic background - any details on the digi tach you can share?

Floyd
TFL45

There's no need to be precise if you don't know what you're talking about!

Offline DavesWimshurst

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2009, 02:05:07 PM »
Welcome Dave,
I also wanted a dirod ever since I saw one at an engineering open house at college and had no idea what I was seeing.
This is mine:

Dave

Offline usn ret

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2009, 02:13:10 PM »
Welcome aboard Dave!! :D Olde guys rule. Old age, skill and cunning will always win over youth  enthusiam and superstition. I can do everything I could do at 21, now it just takes all day. Again welcome aboard!
Cliff :beer:
If it isn't broken your not looking hard enough!

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2009, 04:45:52 PM »
Hi Folks

Many thanks for the warm welcome, not had so much devoted attention since the Inland Revenue discovered I owed them £700.
Have been attempting to reply all day, keep getting side-tracked. Four Biker mates arrived, seeking shelter from heavy rain. Stock of beer now much reduced. Good natter though.

Anyway, in reverse order, 'cos thats the way I can see to reply to posts ..

Cliff,    Yup, very true, Except in my case it takes all day to realise I can't !!

DavesWimshurst, Thats the one. I've never seen an image of one on the net built to the A D Moore design. I may need to ask a few questions later, if I may.

TFL45,  Sure you can have the info, if you want I'll e-mail you or post if anyone else interested. The reason I've done my own is to use on Hot-Air engines when I get around to 'em. I have a commercial Tach, but if it's used on a low power source, it slows down due to pressure of the rubber cone drive on it.

CC Hello, I seem to remember you from HMEM. Did you not ask for a source of drive belts?  I could search the posts, I suppose.  The reason I ask is they were for a 7 x 20  (?), I have a lot of bits from a scrapper 7 x 20, if anyone wants them. FREE

Stilldrillin Got the same trouble as you it seems. Arthritis in right hand/ arm. OK to warm the shop, but cold metal is a stopper. Frozen paws ain't nice.

Tim OK, will post a couple of pics of circuit, all I have at the moment, still trying to get the shop in shape. Been sorting a lot junk I have aquired over the years. Can now see a bit of floor, I assumed I had one, but could never find it !

Stew and Bernd  I think I've seen your posts in HMEM too, lot of interesting items there, but I think this one caters for the more diverse interests of some shed operators. Like me!

Darren Another valve lover. I was interested in your post re; toroidal PSU transformers for valve amps. I have toyed with the idea of making two more 5-20's but as was said, the price of the O/P trannies defies belief. Maplin had them at one time for about £ 25 IIRC, but maybe not a good quality??

Eric your pic of the Triumph .. really nice bike. can I ask the year of the engine ? I think mine was 1964, but it was certainly an alternator, not a dynamo. No, I don't ride anymore. What with arthritis and a damaged spine, if I ever dropped a bike I would probably shatter on impact. I'm an armchair member of the VMCC, Vintage Motor-Cycle Club, have been very tempted by some bikes advertised for sale, but I guess it's over for me

About it  ... time for the medication ,8 tablets at night. And the Glen Morangie !!. One lot says try to avoid alcohol, makes no mention of succeeding.  :D

Dave D. II  or more ..

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2009, 06:04:13 PM »
Dave the Maplin ones are/where fine, no-one could understand why they where so cheap. Not top end, but ok.

I'll have to do a thread on my amps, they are nothing special to look at but sound sublime.

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2009, 06:11:11 PM »
And the Glen Morangie !!. One lot says try to avoid alcohol, makes no mention of succeeding.  :D

I'm happy to support your point of view BC :thumbup: ............. in fact I'll raise a glass to it  :beer:

Yup, we did natter about 9x20 belts, in the end Ralph n' I got a few from the States, courtesy of Eric (Brass_Machine)  :bow: ........... however I've now moved on to a Boxford ............. and believe it or not that needs a bloomin' new belt  :bang:  Ces't la vie  ................ etc ...........  :scratch:

Nice to see you on here, likewise my Biking days are now behind me ..... 4x4 beckons though

atb

CC

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2009, 07:44:28 PM »
Darren,
Maplin list the trannies, but out of stock. Might just have a dabble if they get some more.
Was very suspicious of them, like you say your post, I saw them well over £100 a pop, still at £25, why not?

CC

Belt Rot must be catching. My S7 had one on it's last legs when I got it. That's why I used Bluechip when I registered on HMEM. Just replaced it that day and was treated to smokin' hot blue/brown swarf  for the first time on the machine. Before I didn't dare tension the belt in case it broke. Absolutely knackered.

Thats it for today. Glen M. taking effect. bye

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2009, 07:51:23 PM »
Dave, there is nothing special about output transformers, it's all about quantity of sales V pricing.

They are just as easy to wind as any other transformer. You can do it on the lathe, my mate used to but I only ever tried winding chokes cos that's easier.... :med: