Author Topic: Minnie on the cheap!  (Read 24616 times)

Online NormanV

• United Kingdom
Re: Minnie on the cheap!
« Reply #75 on: November 10, 2017, 10:16:35 AM »
I wasn't happy with the bearings and have been experimenting casting copper/aluminium alloys with no success. Then a neighbour gave me a lump of brass that I used to remake them.
Also the hornplates were not quite right so I remade those also.
Now it all assembled and riveted together. The gears run much more smoothly now that they are properly aligned.

Online NormanV

• United Kingdom
« Reply #76 on: November 15, 2017, 10:53:02 AM »
Cock-up number 2!
Not being familiar with traction engine nomenclature I confused the positions of the angles for mounting the back plate and the spectacle plate (one is longer than the other).
As these pieces of angle are riveted in position and removal would have meant complete dismantling of the whole thing I decided to just leave them as they are. This means that the smaller back plate exposes some of the mounting angle and the spectacle plate has an extra hole. I am sure that the extra angle will not be noticed below the back plate with all the backhead fittings in place and the extra hole will be filled before I paint it.

Offline Joules

« Reply #77 on: November 15, 2017, 11:30:06 AM »
Very nice Norman, just wish I had the time and patience to make one.
Honour your mentors, and pay it forward.

Online NormanV

• United Kingdom
« Reply #78 on: March 05, 2018, 12:12:32 PM »
Progress is being made.

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #79 on: March 08, 2018, 11:50:10 PM »
Great thread Norman, sorry I missed it earlier. Sorry I visit more occasionally these days since I've temporarily come out of retirement. I should be a free man again in June, and looking forward to being able to do projects again.

Great work, and coming along nicely! I'll keep an eye on this thread..... :coffee:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Online NormanV

• United Kingdom
« Reply #80 on: March 12, 2018, 08:07:27 AM »
A bit more progress. I have completed the flywheel. True to my stinginess I did not want to buy a casting so I fabricated it from what I had in the workshop. The rim is built up from six pieces of rusty 1/4" steel plate that I cut out roughly with my angle grinder. I held them together with araldite and six nuts and screws. It was a very rough shape and it took two days on the lathe to get it to shape and size.
The spokes, 6mm dia, were turned from 10mm dia steel which was tough stuff  and gave a poor finish so filing was the order of the day. The spokes are threaded into the hub.
I had a piece of steel tube the correct outside diameter but only 1/8" wall. I shrunk fit this onto the embryo flywheel. Then I mounted the whole assembly in the lathe and turned it to width and cut a rebate around the inside edges so that it runs true.
All I need to do now is to fill around the screw heads to tidy it up.
Overall I am very happy with it.

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #81 on: March 12, 2018, 09:14:21 AM »
Using what you have is the name of the game, Norman -- always my favorite reads. :coffee:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #82 on: March 12, 2018, 05:10:05 PM »
Great job on the flywheel!