Gallery, Projects and General > How do I??

Lathe Height

(1/8) > >>

fatal-exception:
Hey guys. I'm debating building some stilts for my lathe stands to bring up the center height. The old back gets a bit sore after hunching over for extended periods.

What's the ideal center height? I'm 5'8" (173cm) so I would say about average height. Why does it seem that all import lathes are too short? This is my second lathe, and it's the same center height +/- as my first Craftex lathe.

Thanks for any input.

Paul

seadog:
Hi Paul, I think the recommendation is that the centre height is the distance from the floor to your elbow, with your lower arm held horizontally across your stomach.
I raised my Boxford approximately 4" and I find it's perfect. I'm about the same height as you.

Graham

Lew_Merrick_PE:
Hi Paul -- I grew up with the same advice as Graham gave you, but in my later life (now 63) I have raised my spindles by 4 inches to make micrometers and dial indicators more readable to my (now) bespectacled eyes.

chipenter:
For me its the height of the handles , if you are hunched over using manual feed , for any lenth of time my back and sholders hurt .

charadam:
Have you considered using a high stool?

Works for me at 186cm tall and with a dodgy back.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version