Author Topic: Saturday visit to flea market in Frankfurt  (Read 6418 times)

eskoilola

Saturday visit to flea market in Frankfurt
« on: October 07, 2017, 11:29:26 AM »
Visiting flea markets is always fun. Visiting a flea market in Frankfurt is double so.
Had my flea market visit today. The weather was really cold and windy so not too much visitors there today. That is always a guarantee for lower prises.

First find was a bunch of sanding paper. Some of these are on fabric and some are paper based.
9 pcs Grain 100 - Size A4 Fabric back
5 pcs Grain 220 - Size A4 Paper back
4 pcs Grain 120 - Size A4 Paper back
4 pcs Grain 40 - Size A4 Paper back
5 pcs Grain 60 - Size A4 Paper back
6 pcs Grain P60 - Size A4 Fabric back
Prise for the whole bunch: 5 euros. Not a real bargain but not too bad either.

Second find was a butane torch. Prise 5 euros. Not too bad either.

After that the normal HUGE sausage, mustard, non-alcoholic wheat beer (alcohol and bicycle do not mix up well) and coffee as dessert. Cigarillo de facto.

Then I almost passed by a guy who seemed to have everything from half empty perfume bottles to vinyl records.
What catched my eye was a box filled with small metal particles, files and on top a reamer. So I started bargaining, the box was rather big and seemed to contain some useful stuff.
The final price ended in 60 euros...... which appeared to be a real bargain - just for the reamers.

At home I started to sort the contents of that box in order to create another box to send back to home.
First item was a set of files. Very small files and some of these seemed to have diamond coating.

Link to a full size image (slow): http://kirppuja.fi/Multimedia/Picture/Foto/iPhoto%20Library/2017/10/07/IMG_4855.JPG

Next was 9 reamers. The biggest is 10mm and the smallest ones are tapered. Also a few strange looking drills.
What are that sort of drills used for ?

Link to a full size image (slow): http://kirppuja.fi/Multimedia/Picture/Foto/iPhoto%20Library/2017/10/07/IMG_4856.JPG

Next I sorted out some grinding stones. The one on the top on is a grinding machine dresser, next two are of some unknown material one being very light and the other being really heavy.
The three small ones in the bottom are round, triangle and square shaped stones made of some light material.
All stones seemed to have been treated really well.

Link to a full size image (slow): http://kirppuja.fi/Multimedia/Picture/Foto/iPhoto%20Library/2017/10/07/IMG_4857.JPG

Then, of course, there was a bunch of handles for those files. One of them reads "Heurich" Others were good quality wooden file handles.
A morse adaptor, a toolbit that has carbide top and a very small 120 degree tip the rest being something else. The tip is visible in the full size image.
The items on the right have a small slot on them. Precisely cut... whatever they are for.

Link to a full size image (slow): http://kirppuja.fi/Multimedia/Picture/Foto/iPhoto%20Library/2017/10/07/IMG_4859.JPG

The next kind was some sort of tools that have to do with boring holes or something. I have no idea what these might be.
They are of different sizes and they all share the same geometry. Half of the end is cut away and there are reliefs in a way that these might be used as cutting tools.
The smallest are about one millimeter in diameter the biggest being 10 mm.

Link to a full size image (slow): http://kirppuja.fi/Multimedia/Picture/Foto/iPhoto%20Library/2017/10/07/IMG_4860.JPG

Next a bunch of mini-centers. Some of these have such shape on the tapering that I could imagine them being used to work rivets. Some have tapers on both ends and some only in one.
Again I dont have the faintest idea where these might have been used. And why so many of them?

Link to a full size image (slow): http://kirppuja.fi/Multimedia/Picture/Foto/iPhoto%20Library/2017/10/07/IMG_4861.JPG

The next oddity was a set of flat steel pieces. Some of them have a number on top and looks like these are heat treated from that end. Looks as if they had been hammered from that numbered end.
Then there are a few flat pieces of iron and one piece that I actually was able to trace down. It is a piece of knife steel CP10V.

Link to a full size image (slow): http://kirppuja.fi/Multimedia/Picture/Foto/iPhoto%20Library/2017/10/07/IMG_4862.JPG

The last bunch was a set of metal sticks with tapered ends and all sorts of formations in between.

Link to a full size image (slow): http://kirppuja.fi/Multimedia/Picture/Foto/iPhoto%20Library/2017/10/07/IMG_4863.JPG

All in all over 5 kilograms of steel.

Does someone have an idea what these were used for ?

Offline PekkaNF

Re: Saturday visit to flea market in Frankfurt
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 04:08:50 PM »
Taper reamers and  helical taper reamers, these are for taper pinns, they were used widely to locate "Pin" milled parts together after aligment of the parts. Like mechanical drive (gearboxes, bearing units) and such. Hobbyist can find many unorthodox use, like expander on laps and turning between centeres applications.

Straight cylindrical rods with steep taper at one end looks a lot like transfer punches. Used to transfer hole centres to other part.

Then some parts looked like D-bits or toolmaker's reamer.

Nice find.

Pekka

Offline Pete49

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 11:02:05 PM »
The "strange drills" are wood drills if that helps.
Pete
oops..........oh no.........blast now I need to redo it

Offline chipenter

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 02:20:17 AM »
The strage drills are reamers they won't drill a hole only enlarge one .
Jeff

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 05:53:12 AM »
Search "Helical Flute Taper Pin Reamer" .

Helical reamer works better than straight flute reamer if there are key grooves, holes or steps on material.

Pekka

eskoilola

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2017, 07:40:20 AM »
Thanks for the replies.

The D-shape drills are really D-shape drills. I found a few sites that either show how to make those or sell those with a nasty price. I quess I will drill bunch of holes on wood, measure those bits and put each one into a hole of it's own. That is quite a selection. Seems like these are made of HSS and not carbon steel.

The reamers are really tapered and helix. LOL - I quess I do not need a tapered drill to make a malformed hole - but I assume these make the hole malformed in a certain way. The three reamers are straight though  :thumbup:

Offline Kjelle

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 12:20:59 AM »
The small pieces with numbers might be guage blocks, used to set micrometers and tools..

Kjelle

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2017, 03:50:11 AM »
"Next I sorted out some grinding stones. The one on the top on is a grinding machine dresser, next two are of some unknown material one being very light... "

I have few weird stones that are very light, almost like ceramic tiles from space shuttle type material, they are used to open diamond grinding wheels. I have also some "opening stones" that are used to open standard silicon carbide stone after they are dressed. Maybe something like that?

Pekka

eskoilola

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2017, 08:49:56 AM »
Another visit to the flea market.
This time the findings were somewhat different.
Sunny weather and a lot of visitors so the prises were rather high.

First find was a bunch of stuff that I know what these are but some of these are probably just going to collect dust in my stock.
The bargaining started at 40 euros and we finally agreed the price to be 35.

Klick the images to get a bigger version.

Dial and carbide bits for external threading.

Ball, roller and needle bearings.

Inductive proximity sensors (4x), touch sensor and some strange hydraulic component.

The other stop was my favourite "supplier". He sells tools coming from companies that have gone out of business.
This time only 2 items. A selection of reamers and some HSS blanks (200 x 15 x 15 mm).