The Shop > Electronics & IC Programing

NO POWER

(1/2) > >>

ieezitin:
Guys,

The power supply to my 110v well pump is set up by the pictures supplied.

My problem is when my pump is activated by the pressure switch calling for the pump to come on the motor just Humm's. I have checked the outlet for voltage and it shows 124 volts, the same circuit can run a light bulb but will not power high amp drawing motors, i have a portable air compressor which i have plugged in the same circuit and it does the same thing as the well pump it Humms.

In the juction box 1 picture it shows coming from the breaker my house supply (110v each) and where the well pump box is being supplied which i ran two 100v legs to it. My house has power and have no problems yet this goes through the same breaker as the well pump supply and i have problems with it.

I have an 8KW diesel generator and when i plug the well pump in it fires away and runs like a champ also the pump is brand new.

I am truly perplexed any advice?

Thanks   Anthony.

seadog:
Have you checked the voltage at the pump when it's powered? IT sounds like a high resistance joint. The condition of the main breaker doesn't look that good.

PK:
Is it a single phase motor? If so, check the start capacitor. 
it's also worth checking that you can turn the impeller by hand.  Pumps have a tendency to get clocked with debris.
PK

ieezitin:
PK,

Its a brand new pump and it works fine when i use the generator, also the air compressor fails on the same circuit.

Seadog.

The voltage drops when the pump is trying to start, your right this breaker & box set-up is 30 years old its not in good shape. I may just replace the whole thing with new, but its nice to see what other people think this problem is especially people who know more than I on such matters.

Thank you both for your replies.

Anthony.

AdeV:
Is the genny supplying power over the same wires as the house circuit (disconnected obviously!!), or directly?

When the house circuit is trying to start the pump, do the wires get warm? (WARNING! Testing this may be hazardous to health - make sure you grab hold of a bit of wire with good insulation!!)

It's possible you've got a corroded or rough connection from the house to the pump - this, being high resistance, will get toasty hot; but it'll also sap the power, presumably to the point where the pump can't get started.

Without further info, I'd diagnose a rewire...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version