Author Topic: first cnc  (Read 7411 times)

Offline tom osselton

first cnc
« on: August 12, 2017, 04:05:46 PM »
Well I've been talking about getting a cnc machine for sometime now and my son found this one at his work it is unpluged but works and comes with the transformer and chip conveyor as well as a collet chuck I'm not sure about collets though. The guy who fixes their machines says it is in good condition / acurate, it was sold as a employee deal for $5000.00 so here we go jumping in with both feet!  :D
We just got the riggers quote $1850.00 to move it and set it up or whatever they do, then its just a matter of figuring out how to run it I've been going over the manuals but a cnc for monkey's book wouldn't hurt!

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: first cnc
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 04:16:53 PM »
Very nice you lucky so and so  :thumbup:

When you get bored with it send it over here - I'm vaguely looking for another CNC lathe having sold the Traub TNC350G  :clap:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline chipenter

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 02:18:30 AM »
the book in mentioned is still in copyright and the PDF is a bootleg copy this forum doesn't condone the spreading of such material  :wack: post removed by moderator  :dremel:
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 05:35:37 AM by PTsideshow »
Jeff

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 06:44:31 PM »
Well it gets delivered tomorow around 10 am, then we shall see what power it needs they told my son 220 he's thinking single phase to the transformer I'm thinking 3 phase if so we will need a converter. What would be a good choice in that respect balanced for cnc and we will be adding a mill shortly too. Heres the plate on the transformer.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 02:23:52 AM »
Well that plate certainly implies 3 phase.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline ddmckee54

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 12:22:18 PM »
If I'm reading that name-plate correctly, you've got yourself a 30KVA 3 phase 480 volt primary to 240 volt auto transformer.  At least it looks like it says 30KVA.  According to my books you're looking at full load amperages of 36.1 in the 480 side and 72.2 on the secondary side.  That's kind of on the big side - but not huge.  What's that thing got, about a 20HP motor on the spindle?

Don
Too many irons, not enough fire.

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2017, 09:25:37 PM »
Well it has landed but had to come down the alley on the forklift
Thats my son in the t shirt.
We cleaned any remaining chips and coolant tank then installed the conveyor.
We also were given a few soft jaws!
The motor says it is 29.5 hp at 57 amps and we would like to get a mill with about  7.5 hp so what wil I need for power a 40hp converter? 

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2017, 12:19:44 PM »
Well here's a bit of a update the garage is coming along great! As you can see there is lots of light and alot more room although we are still sorting things for basement, shed or turf. We went with a 30 hp digital phase converter that is due here next week.I still have to drill a hole into the basement to feed video cables that can be hooked up along with the computer / tv (eventually) and one more coat of paint for the ceiling, its come a long way from bare studs!

Yesterday we rolled out some brown parcel paper and cut out the pattern for the Haas tm1p this will allow us to find the best spot, we are thinking on a 45 to the corner to allow the 3 foot door swing for the panel.Once we have decided on a spot we have to raise the ceiling because total height for the z is 105 inches, acording to Haas it should be here at the end of the month till then I shall be yelling at the snow gods to p*ss off!

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2017, 01:14:35 AM »
Well the phase converter has finally arrived so I'll have to bring in a Sparky.
I also cleared out the corner and placed the template down it looks like a 45 angle to the corner will be the best choice when the mill gets here.

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2017, 01:33:55 AM »
This is the fan I want to hook up to the vent in the roof that was put in last year.
The fan has a 6 inch intake and exhaust I picked them up on kijiji for $50.00 it supposedly was used on 6 bays so I'm hoping to use a dimmer switch to slow it down a tad. I could also use a spare 90v dc motor for my milling machine if need be.

Offline vintageandclassicrepairs

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2017, 03:49:59 PM »
Hi Tom,
That motor looks like a capacitor start single phase ?
A dimmer is the wrong way to try and control its speed, this would only work on a brushed universal motor
Either a pulley change to reduce the fan speed with the single phase motor,
or a 3phase motor and inverter speed controller

John

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2017, 09:06:47 PM »
Thanks John, I can create them but as I said I'm no Sparky!

We got back some floor space today by building a stand for the soft jaws now we can start mounting the converter and plan out what we need before getting the electrican in.

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2017, 07:38:56 PM »
Today we mounted the converter and bought the electrical bits and pieces the electrician says he will be over sunday to hook up the wires. We also heard from Haas the mill is almost built.... Please send money! I always thought the house was suppose to be the money pit!

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2017, 07:13:56 PM »
Well we started it up the other week and everything seemed to work but the m button had to be pushed hard to contact so we pulled out the guts along with the panel and put in a reconditioned one after that we got " HOST CONTROL INITIALIZING "  everything passes but goes no further.

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2017, 07:18:10 PM »
Had a better day today the mill arrived looks like we may have beaten the snow gods!

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2017, 03:27:18 PM »
Well the mill was delivered today, they used a boom truck placing the mill onto a 1" plate after removing the feet off of it for clearance and completed the install in 5 1/2 hours.