Author Topic: Do I NEED another CNC Lathe Project ?  (Read 26354 times)

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: Do I NEED another CNC Lathe Project ?
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2018, 02:55:32 AM »
That certainly looks like a good option Dickybird. Are either of yours running a lathe with threading capabilities? Threading always seems to be the stumbling block, the adverts says it does but ......?

The tool changer needs relatively fast I/o to monitor its simple encoder as it rotates which might be another issue.
Years back I used to use TurboCNC. Quite clunky by modern standards but has the advantage that you have full access to the source code and can incorporate foibles such as these.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline DICKEYBIRD

• Collierville, TN ya'll
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2018, 11:21:01 AM »
I have my lathe running with a Heidenhain 2000 line (8000 counts per rev) encoder.  I am still learning the software (un-learning Mach3 Turn) & have not done any threading yet but am sure it will do well.  Here's a video:

The tool changer will require a custom macro (if there's not one available already) but from what I have seen on Centroid's support forum & from my memories of your posted history with such things, it'll be a walk in the park for you!

If you get some spare time, look around here http://centroidcncforum.com/viewforum.php?f=60 and you'll soon see how serious a piece of kit the Acorn is and how competent the Centroid staff is.  They even put up with my problems & patiently hold my hand through thick & thin! :clap:

My opinion is that the DIY CNC world is very fortunate to have it available at that price.  (It was even better when I got on board early in the program at the introductory price of $265 + $99 for the Pro level software.)
Milton in Tennesee

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2018, 11:32:21 AM »
Milton, I've been reading up on it on their web site and it certainly looks to tick all the boxes.

Not got my hands on the lathe yet so need to be patient, but the Acorn / Centroid offering looks like a fore runner thanks for the heads up.  :thumbup: I'm even looking at their PC offering as a neat solution, but they get costly after customs charges and VAT over here  :(

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline DICKEYBIRD

• Collierville, TN ya'll
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2018, 11:55:23 AM »
You're welcome Andrew, just trying to spread the word about a product I believe in.  I'm not electronically savvy enough to talk intelligently about the technical side of things but so far it seems to me to be a great tool to add to the CNC hobbyist's (and pro's) toolbox at a fair price.

ps: I'm a cheapskate, I bought a refurb Dell W10 PC for $139 and it works great.
Milton in Tennesee

Offline PK

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2018, 05:32:53 PM »
Years back I used to use TurboCNC. Quite clunky by modern standards but has the advantage that you have full access to the source code and can incorporate foibles such as these.

:-) I remember turbocnc fondly.

Can't find the video, but I had a 'party piece' job that turned a two start, acme, tapered thread in PVC.

All using a 1 pulse per rev encoder..

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2018, 05:37:47 PM »
My first CNC conversion was a Denford Orac with a u/s controller. I used TurboCNC with loads of customised code to drive the tool turret and an inverter for the spindle. Nice lathe but under powered.

That was in 2003   :bugeye:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline RotarySMP

« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2018, 04:50:00 AM »
I also used TCNC for years on my little chinese 7X lathe conversion. Shame Dave never sorted out that tool offset system. I really like the G77 canned cycle he implemented. The issues with the tool offset system did motivate the change to LinuxCNC which is a truly fantastic system.

I've been working on a Maho MH400E conversion in LinuxCNC, and this really is very well thought out, and extremely flexible software. Bit of a learning curve, but that is part of the fun. The support in the LinuxCNC forum is first rate as well.
Mark
Best regards, Meilleures salutations, Mit freundlichen Grüßen, Cu salutari
Mark
https://www.youtube.com/c/RotarySMP

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2018, 05:39:14 AM »
My first thoughts when looking at the ebay advert for this lathe was that it would be a candidate for LinuxCNC and force myself to get to grips with it, but I've previously downloaded LinuxCNC and really struggled with it.

Seeing the Centroid Acorn offering it seems well implemented and although not cheap looks to be a relatively easily achieved solution. I've not ruled out LiinuxCNC if only because it irritates me that to date I've not mastered it !

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline DICKEYBIRD

• Collierville, TN ya'll
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2018, 11:05:38 AM »
My first thoughts when looking at the ebay advert for this lathe was that it would be a candidate for LinuxCNC and force myself to get to grips with it, but I've previously downloaded LinuxCNC and really struggled with it.

Seeing the Centroid Acorn offering it seems well implemented and although not cheap looks to be a relatively easily achieved solution.
I had the same LinuxCNC experience with my ORAC but when I factored in the price of the needed Mesa boards & other bits & bobs plus the massive amount of time needed (for me) to learn Linux, it was a no-brainer.  At 70 yrs. old, I figured I'd spend my limited amount of spare time fighting other battles.  Un-learning Mach3 is (for me) hard enough! :bang:
Milton in Tennesee

Offline RotarySMP

« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2018, 04:50:39 PM »
I've found (so far, I'm not finished yet) that Linux knowledge is not a big deal. With the live CD's the system is a plug and play installation even simpler than windows.

The LinuxCNC HAL and Ini command system is pretty logical.

Beyond that you have the option, but not the necessity, to dive into nearly unlimited possiblities to customise through HAL modules, Classic ladder, or Python M/G code reassignment.
Mark
Best regards, Meilleures salutations, Mit freundlichen Grüßen, Cu salutari
Mark
https://www.youtube.com/c/RotarySMP

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2018, 02:53:14 PM »
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Will_D

• National Homebrew Club of Ireland
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2018, 07:54:17 AM »
Pity the Acorn s/w only runs on Windows 10. Thats yet another expense!
Engineer and Chemist to the NHC.ie
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/

Offline DICKEYBIRD

• Collierville, TN ya'll
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2018, 10:27:57 AM »
Pity the Acorn s/w only runs on Windows 10. Thats yet another expense!
Yeah, I was hoping to use a spare W7 PC I had on hand.  The expense wasn't too bad though and Centroid wanted to plan now for possible future enhancements of the new CNC12 software.

Here's an example of what's available this side of the pond.  The one I got is a smaller format than this example & works great!  I also picked up a refurb Lenovo 23" touchscreen monitor for $120 shipped.  I run an Ethernet A/B switchbox to allow the one PC to run the lathe while construction continues on the mill.  One PC runs 2 Acorns.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=Dell+Optiplex+790+SFF+Quad+Core+i5-2400+3.1GHz+-+4GB+-+500GB+WiFi+w%2F+Win+10&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XDell+Optiplex+790+SFF+Quad+Core+i5-2400+3.1GHz+w10.TRS0&_nkw=Dell+Optiplex+790+SFF+Quad+Core+i5-2400+3.1GHz+w10&_sacat=0

Milton in Tennesee

Offline russ57

« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2018, 04:46:20 PM »
Win10 is available free, and legally.
Without a license, you can't activate it. That restricts some functions, like personalised desktop settings,  although you even have a 30 day grace period to do that.

It also effects some other Microsoft services. I'd be fairly confident running cnc software would be fine (no doubt the fine print mentions personal use only)

A response I think to the internet of things, home automation, the rise of single board computers with Linux and Android.

-russ

Offline Pete.

« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2018, 04:50:46 PM »
Win10 is available free, and legally.

How? I have been considering it. Full install or upgrade version only?

Offline russ57

« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2018, 10:02:29 PM »
See
https://www.howtogeek.com/244678/you-dont-need-a-product-key-to-install-and-use-windows-10/

For example.

I think you can do either.
It seems like an upgrade may result in an activation sometimes.
I also found a comment somewhere that if you use 'assistive' features you are entitled to an upgrade licence.

-russ

Offline timby

« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2018, 03:03:07 AM »
You can get W10  PCs  quite cheaply on Ebay, this is an example,  http://bit.ly/2sbVpST

I recently bought one even cheaper for my sister, I was impressed.