Author Topic: Upgrading My Dust Extraction  (Read 6212 times)

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Upgrading My Dust Extraction
« on: May 09, 2018, 09:48:53 AM »
I've decided to bite the bullet and run an extraction duct down the length of my woodwork shop using standard 110 mm underground drain pipe mounted up in the roof. There will be a drop down to my extractor about 1/3rd of the way from one end, and drops to the various machines in 125 mm, 100 mm ,  and 80 mm as appropriate to the machine. There will also be a 'floor sweeping' port that shavings can be swept into. Each inlet will have a plate valve to enable it to be shut off.

Now I've had the 110 mm pipe, the plate valves, and various bits of flexible pipe for some time, but the 'round tuit' hasn't happened.

One hold up is the realisation that the extractor, (the source of the suck) will be connected midway along the duct requiring a straight 90 degree Tee fitting and these are not available in 110 mm drainage style, as all Tees have a degree of  flow management - so a 90 degree Tee is really an 87.5 degree Tee with markedly swept internal shape to encourage flow in one direction. So no use to me  :bang:

Well we are Mad Modders aren't we - MAKE a 90 degree Tee - so that was this mornings job.

I took the stub end of a pipe that had a female socket incorporated, and projected the required shape of cut out onto it by holding another pipe at 90 degrees and drawing round it.

A bit of Jig Sawing, a bit more marking, a bit more jig sawing . . . .well you get my drift . . .an iterative process  . . and we ended up with a hole in the pipe that I could push the other pipe into, draw round, cut out the 'birds mouth' and glue it all together. Seems to have worked OK - see how strong it is tomorrow before I commit to using it. Meanwhile clips and 87.5 degree Tees on order so I'll update this thread as the build continues.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: Upgrading My Dust Extraction
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 09:53:41 AM »
Meanwhile I'm trying to source some 'Quick Release' hose clips in 80 mm and 125 mm. Axminster carry them in 100 mm - I have some, but no one seems to have the 80 or 125 mm sizes UNLESS YOU CAN TELL ME DIFFERENTLY ?????

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline hermetic

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 12:05:22 PM »
No good for the clips, but I find that this place http://www.buildingplasticsdirect.co.uk saves me a fortune on building plastics like the 110mm pipe and fittings, no connection other than being a satisfied customer, they deliver UK wide. Local Jewsons quoted me £14.00 for a 110mm T  BPD price £4.50!! Not chinese either, all made in Holland and fully compliant with EU standards (such as they are!).
Man who says it cannot be done should not disturb man doing it! https://www.youtube.com/user/philhermetic/videos?

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 01:00:38 PM »
Yes I've used them  :thumbup:

I once had a whole lorry load of 6 metre lengths of 110 underground from them - it's the mainstay of my trunking network trenched between all the farm buildings, and of course surface water and foul drains, all of which I replaced when we moved here some years back.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Noitoen

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 02:37:32 PM »
For pipe notching and other stuff, this site has some help. https://www.blocklayer.com/pipe-notchingeng.aspx 

Offline efrench

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2018, 06:39:15 PM »
Would two 87.5 degree Ts cut in half and welded together give you better flow?

Offline Will_D

• National Homebrew Club of Ireland
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2018, 03:53:09 AM »
Meanwhile I'm trying to source some 'Quick Release' hose clips in 80 mm and 125 mm. Axminster carry them in 100 mm - I have some, but no one seems to have the 80 or 125 mm sizes UNLESS YOU CAN TELL ME DIFFERENTLY ?????
Could you take some 1/8 or so stainless rod and wind two turns round a suitably sized mandrel.

Bend the ends 90 degrees fit two bits of plastic rod as handles.

Will
Engineer and Chemist to the NHC.ie
http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2018, 02:06:49 PM »
Efrench - I'd considered that but the join would be very weak

Will, yes I was cogitating schemes, but you know, life is just too short to make everything !

Today the 87.5 degree bends arrived so having collected the dismantled lambs from the butcher I was able to get on putting up the new ducting. What a pain single handed  :bugeye:

I tried assembling as much as possible at ground level then projecting the assembly up into the gods - the inevitable happened (several times  :bang: ) and joints came apart, but persistence paid off and it is in place now.

OK nothing yet connected to it - it's been a long day with much happening so I was glad at least to get the basic ducting in place

Now for a bit of  :beer:

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2018, 10:12:28 AM »
The Cetus 3D printer has been going flat out today printing adaptors from 110 mm soil pipe to 125 mm flexible hose - only 5 hours each  :bugeye:

Meanwhile I gave the paddock it's first cut of the season with the big flail mower, mainly to control rush growth - 3" staple so still lots for the sheep to eat
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2018, 07:52:21 AM »
I left the Cetus 3D printer churning out another adaptor last night while I went out with friends for a meal, and like a loyal servant it had finished when I got back. This let me get on with connecting up the new duct to the extractor.

As far as the aerial duct is concerned all that is now connected is the main source of suck, via that 90 Tee that I made, and one connection to the thicknesser. All other ports are temporarily blanked off.

However I finalised the shape of the Christmas Tree that serves things local to the extractor, namely the Rip Saw, the high volume vacuum cleaner and the floor mounted brush in dust collector.

I need to sort out somewhere to park the adaptor box for the Thickesser, as it has to be removed to use the Planer, probably a shelf hence the hose is currently left long.

Similarly I need to fabricate hooks to hang the hose of the high volume vacuum cleaner to keep it out of the way.

. . . but it's getting there slowly . . still need to run pipe to the wood lathe, the big chain mortiser, and a port behind the bench for clean up.

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline russ57

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2018, 09:20:11 AM »
The woodwork forum
http://www.woodworkforums.com/f200

Has a great subforum on dust extraction, much good advice.

Russ