The Shop > Wood & Stuff

Planer Accurate Depth of Cut

(1/3) > >>

velocette:
Hi all Wood Nuts
Recently I bought a 150 mm wide planer in rough condition and spent a lot of time and a little money on a rebuild to use on my woodworking.
Once complete I figured that if I fixed a DTI to the In feed Table Gibs  then every 5 mm on the DTI  = 3 mm depth of cut.

Eric

Spurry:
That's a very cunning solution to feed depth.  :thumbup: Do the vibes from the machine not affect the DTI when in actual operation?
Pete

velocette:

--- Quote from: Spurry on November 29, 2017, 05:15:10 AM ---That's a very cunning solution to feed depth.  :thumbup: Do the vibes from the machine not affect the DTI when in actual operation?
Pete

--- End quote ---
Hi Pete
Nothing detected so far with a heavy cast iron frame of around 30 - 40 Kgs. I lock the gibs and then take up the backlash on the adjustment to hold the table up.
The drive is with Poly Vee Belt 6 Ribs giving a very smooth drive. I do confess to being a Poly Vee Belt Drive addict with all bar one workshop machines with them fitted. :doh:
Eric

Spurry:
Thanks for answering the query Eric.
Hope it continues to work well for you, so happy planing.
Pete

ZebraDriver:
Eric. Nice set up, a couple of wee comments for you to consider:-

If you mount the DTI vertically with the reader tip running against a horizontal block the reading will be direct rather than your 5mm for each 3mm Also I see you seem have two DTIs fitted, the outfeed table should be fixed at the height of the blades, if you don't have it set at blade height you will start planning curves.

Martin

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version