Home Base > Introductions

Hi from Southampton

(1/4) > >>

martin33100:
Hi, just joined your club.
My first read is going to be on lathes as that's my next purchase, I have just built a workshop at home for hobby use.

Karlloss:

--- Quote from: martin33100 on December 13, 2017, 10:37:33 AM ---Hi, just joined your club.
My first read is going to be on lathes as that's my next purchase, I have just built a workshop at home for hobby use.

--- End quote ---

Hello and welcome to the forum.

You’ll find loads of advice and guidance on here. If I may provide some advice from my own experience, buy the best lathe you can afford. Whilst some machines will seem good value, and no doubt they are, when it comes to machining there is no substitute for quality and rigidity of a machine. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brass_Machine:
Hi Martin,

Welcome to the collective :borg:

What are you going to do in your shop?

Eric

martin33100:

--- Quote from: Brass_Machine on December 13, 2017, 11:18:43 AM ---Hi Martin,

Welcome to the collective :borg:

What are you going to do in your shop?

Eric

--- End quote ---
Just basic hobby engineering and TIG welding at home really, I am one of the maintenance Techs at Southampton docks in the container port so I can get some projects done at work in our breaks.
I did have a nice Harison L5 but it got put into storage when we moved house at my uncles farm but some kids set his barn on fire, lathe got wrecked.
My work shop is 2M x 7.5M internally so not that wide, I picked up a nice used Warco Super Major last month.
I have looked at M300's and Bantams/Students but good machines are around 3-4K.

I know it's not a British machine but I have been  offered this mint Chester 630 (same as Warco gh750) that came out of a school for £1750.

tom osselton:
Nice looking lathe.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version