The Shop > Electronics & IC Programing

Static phase converters

(1/3) > >>

martin33100:
Hi, just bought a M300 lathe and soon I will be looking for a phase converter.

I have looked at the static Transwave's and also our local machine mart has there's on offer, when I spoke to there technical guy he said there static converters only have power on 2 phases and gets the other phase from the motor, is that right?, I thought my lathe would need all 3 phases.

Thanks in advance

naffsharpe (Nathan):
Nothing wrong with a static converter. I've run my Harrison L5 on a Transwave (no connection) for years. At hobby levels of use and at light production use mine is very good. Protect it with it's own circuit/ breaker/RCD. My lathe has the two speed motor and all gearbox speeds are available. Nathan.

John Rudd:
Just bear in mind that if you supply it with a dedicated mcb like Nate suggests, you get the mcb with the right curve rating.....I'd suggest a C type rather than the usual B type, else you find it trips unexpectedly on startup....Your local 'trician should be ble to help...

naffsharpe (Nathan):
I totally agree with John, I may even suggest that instead of a 30ma RCD, that you go for a 100ma RCD. You'll never notice the difference in protection but your household circuits might. That is, given you are already protected by a 30ma RCD. Nathan.

martin33100:
Thanks guys, I do mechanical and electrical work in the engineering department at Southampton docks and I work on the cranes and straddle carriers. I posted the question about converters as I have never used one and all the work I do here is all 3 phase supply.
I have a 40A supply going to my new work shop at home and once the lathe goes in I will start the wiring, currently just the lighting circuits are done.
I am puting a 16 and 32A socket for welders so may just use the 32A socket to supply the converter, if they were to trip I would change to a Type C mcb but most boards (unless you by blank) come with type B mcb's.
I was going to do a split load board with the lighting and roller door on one split and all the sockets and machines on the other split, that way any power tools or machines won't take out the lights or door.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version