Author Topic: Converting pneumatic Biax to electric  (Read 4721 times)

Offline vlakken

Converting pneumatic Biax to electric
« on: December 27, 2017, 04:38:57 PM »
I am in the process of converting the scraper to an electric unit :zap:

The main idea is to use a kress spindle to replace the pneumatic motor.

I plan to machine down the original spindle so it can be fitted in the collet of the kress, I read that the original speed of the motor was around 20k so the spindle speed of 10k to 29k should be fine.

As the spindle is hardened I am wondering what is the best way to cut the end off and turn down the od from 12mm to 10mm (max collet size of spindle is 10mm).

I plan to make the adapter from aluminium, one end will be threaded to fit the existing threads on the main body whilst the other will have a split collar that fits on the kress.

What do people think?

Offline mexican jon

Re: Converting pneumatic Biax to electric
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 10:28:55 PM »
I am in the process of converting the scraper to an electric unit :zap:

The main idea is to use a kress spindle to replace the pneumatic motor.

I plan to machine down the original spindle so it can be fitted in the collet of the kress, I read that the original speed of the motor was around 20k so the spindle speed of 10k to 29k should be fine.

As the spindle is hardened I am wondering what is the best way to cut the end off and turn down the od from 12mm to 10mm (max collet size of spindle is 10mm).

I plan to make the adapter from aluminium, one end will be threaded to fit the existing threads on the main body whilst the other will have a split collar that fits on the kress.

What do people think?

Cutting the shaft down would be easy using a slitting disc  :thumbup: as for turning it down by such a small amount when it's hardened may be more problematic  :scratch: if it was me I'd set a tool post grinder up and grind it to the final size  :clap:
People say you only live once ! I say thank F@*K can't afford to do it twice.

Offline Pete.

Re: Converting pneumatic Biax to electric
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 03:54:19 AM »
Definitely a worthwhile effort if you can marry the two parts. Does the air motor use the typical 4-tooth spline of the electric Biax?