Author Topic: Threading carbide insert holder  (Read 3076 times)

eskoilola

Threading carbide insert holder
« on: January 08, 2018, 09:38:00 PM »

The carbide holder came out just nice. After learning how to set up the correct angles and using jig setup for filing. The back support for the actual form tool was formed with a dremel. When the insert is in place it quides the cutting. The upmost holder was my first try on this tool and it is really bad. The angles are not correct and the missing support makes that a widow maker for inserts.

The finish on the tool is actually rapeseed oil. Hardening was done by quenching in the oil which then made this quite uniform and pleasant finish. The smell was - hmmm - appetizing and probably this is less poisonous than the other available finishes. I know absolutely nothing about hardening but the file cannot dent it any more and after making a test with another piece of this same material it did not chatter when blown by a hammer while in a vise ... no vice marks after that blow either.

eskoilola

Re: Threading carbide insert holder
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 11:13:07 PM »
What an odd thing. I bought some center drills from Frankfurt flea market and this is one of them. First I thought that it was dull - no it was not. Luckily I can run the lathe backwards.

Yet another tool. I think everyone has made at least one of these.

Still another threading tool. This is for internal threads. It uses the external threading insert so it must be ran backwards. I also learned the hard way that this material is really hard when hardened. It was really hard to get 0.5 mm from the diameter after hardening. Hard enough - or enough hard. Hardly enough hard wor(d/k)ing......