Author Topic: Grinding the jaws on my three jaw chuck  (Read 17843 times)

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
Re: Grinding the jaws on my three jaw chuck
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2018, 03:24:06 PM »
Now there's an idea... my "good" 3-jaw is starting to get stiff spots in the scroll (customer abuse, I suspect...), it's "not bad" when it comes to repeatability, but it's not particularly brilliant either.

So.. maybe the time has come (er, is coming - I'm waaay behind on every single one of my projects  :poke:) to look at the idea of making a fresh scroll for the more knackered chuck - the theory being, if I cock it up, no harm done.

Or maybe I should just suck on the bank account and buy a decent new chuck...  naaah, who am I kidding?  :lol:
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2018, 03:33:38 PM »
Surely with your Chinese connections you can source a suitably sized chuck at a very modest price  :scratch:

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2018, 08:32:57 AM »
Hey!

Buy it advice when you can make it and show us here?????

tch, tch ,tch, Andrew!

:proj:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline WeldingRod

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2018, 08:40:39 AM »
I hate to be the voice of reason getting in the way of exotic bevel gear construction, but right spots mean you have chips in the he scroll.  Just open it and clean it out!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2018, 03:00:59 PM »
I hate to be the voice of reason getting in the way of exotic bevel gear construction, but right spots mean you have chips in the he scroll.  Just open it and clean it out!

No, please! Continue to be the voice of reason - I'd never even considered that! Anyway, this is my "good" (slightly better, still pretty awful) chuck... I reckoned if I could rescue the really bad one then I'd be able to do the same to the better one continue using the rescued one forever amen!

Fortunately I've been working almost exclusively with aluminium recently, so with luck it's ali swarf rather than anything harder...
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2018, 03:06:02 PM »
Surely with your Chinese connections you can source a suitably sized chuck at a very modest price  :scratch:

The problem isn't sourcing the chuck - you're right, I could probably find a corner shop in Zhengzhou which sold them (I'm not joking either - you get the strangest shops out there... one of them sold compressors and electrical switchgear - and nothing else! :scratch: Literally 2 minutes walk from my wife's apartment is a small estate full of such shops, and it's all cheap as chips (compared to UK prices).  However, I didn't see any machine tool type shops, I suspect they're further out of town - or quite possibly in another town entirely.

The problem, as usual, is how to get a rather big lump of heavy metal back to the UK? Put it in a suitcase and it's bound to set off all kinds of alarms - and will probably use my entire luggage weight allowance, and I doubt I could sneak it through customs either! Which brings us to postage, which is where anything from China loses a big chunk of it's value-for-money, sadly.

PS: There's always the "leave your clothes behind..." approach  :lol: i.e. take a small suitcase with enough clothes to wear out there, then abandon them in favour of a chuck... unfortunately I can't easily buy clothes out there, I'm way bigger than most Chinese people, they just don't stock clothes in my size!
Cheers!
Ade.
--

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2018, 05:47:16 PM »
Ade, how do all the Chinese eBay sellers manage to offer such low (or even included) postage on items? I can't remember where I heard it, but I did hear tell that the Chinese Government subsidise such transactions, but I don't know if that is apocryphal or not?
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Pete.

« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2018, 06:03:27 PM »

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2018, 02:42:38 AM »
Thanks Pete

That wasn't the source I saw, but it explains a lot!
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2018, 08:03:01 PM »
Yep, that's the reason for the very cheap postage on small packages; however, by the time you get to the bigger stuff (like an 8" chuck, for example), most domestic mail organisations won't deliver things that heavy, so they have to go through couriers... who, naturally, charge a "real" price.
Cheers!
Ade.
--