Author Topic: What is this tool ?  (Read 3549 times)

eskoilola

What is this tool ?
« on: February 04, 2018, 03:38:23 PM »
My latest visit to Frankfurt flea market ended up with some slitting saws, carbide bits, carbide end-mills and a mystery tool.

This tool is about 20cm long and the jaws are about 6cm wide. The handle is knurled and the distance of the jaws can be adjusted by turning it. The jaws close completely and they open up to 6cm.

It looks like a very handy tool - the problem being - I dont have the faintest idea where and how it is used.

Click the images for bigger presentation.

What is this tool ?

Offline hermetic

Re: What is this tool ?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 04:00:14 PM »
It is an adjustable spanner, of the type often found in car toolkits if the 20's and 30's.
Man who says it cannot be done should not disturb man doing it! https://www.youtube.com/user/philhermetic/videos?

eskoilola

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 04:21:47 PM »
I doubt it is not an adjustable spanner because:
  • There are no signs of that type of usage in the jaws. Of course I could be just lucky - it has never been used.
  • The construction is just too precise for that type of a task. The jaws close perfectly and have very sharp corners
  • The curved long side would be really impractical for that sort of use. The jaws are also way too heavy for that.
  • This tool is not that old. Or - maybe I am one more time lucky and have found a soon-to-be 100 year old tool which has never been used.

Online awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 05:06:21 PM »
Try this then  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Pete.

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 07:01:11 PM »
It's an early version of the Wilkinson Sword safety razor :D

eskoilola

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 03:44:04 PM »
It's an early version of the Wilkinson Sword safety razor :D
Of course it is.

First You are supposed to place the thing over one hair, then close it up so it catches the hair and then pull. One hair at a time. Practical and developes patience and coordination.

I could probably use it for bending edges on thin metal sheet.

Offline BaronJ

• Grumpy Old Git !
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 04:44:15 PM »
Hi,

I would be inclined to agree with Awemawson.  The Wilkinson Sword safety razor had a hollow curved top that had a screw that passed through the blade and threaded into the handle via a curved support.  They were part of the standard 1st WW issue army kit.  The kit also contained a glass hone so the blade could be sharpened.  You could still buy packets of 5 blades from barbers and chemist shops at least up to the 60 or 70s.  They came in cardboard packets, each blade wrapped in paper.

Best Regards:
                     Baron