The Craftmans Shop > New from Old

Rebirth of a Denford MIRAC CNC Lathe

(1/31) > >>

awemawson:
Today my friend Derek and I left Sedlescombe in East Sussex at 06:00 in quite heavy flurries of snow heading off to Somerset to collect my newly acquired pile of scrap that once had been a Denford MIRAC CNC Lathe. Due to the snow, morning rush hour on the M25 and hold ups on the M3 we eventually arrived at Stoke St Michael 170 miles and four hours later catching the vendor still in bed  :clap:

Now I hadn't been confident in the measurements he'd given me for either the lathe or it's stand despite his assurances, and sure enough either his tape had shrunk or the machine had grown - it was extremely tight getting it in the van. And again despite his assurance that the stand would fit over the machine there was absolutely no way it would  :bang:

So having shoehorned the lathe into the van I got Mr Stay In Bed to take an angle grinder to the stand and put it in in pieces reasoning that I could make good the damage with the welder  :ddb:

Journey back was a breeze by comparison, and even stopping for a light lunch we were back ready to unload by 15:00

A quick cup of coffee, feed the pigs then unloaded by forklift (once the propane gasifier had unfrozen  :bang:)

So a quick examination found that it was a model of MIRAC that I've not seen before, with a Viglen Genie PC slotted into the drive box apparently as original equipment, with a bespoke inverter drive for the spindle complete with brake unit, a small Mitsubishi inverter for the tool turret that looks like a replacement for (perhaps) another bespoke one, and custom power supply and two axis drive board.

Tomorrow I will start a clean up, remove all the swarf and oil from the base and try and get it up onto a pump up trolley for better access and investigation.

Probably I'll try and get the original PC drive working but I very much doubt I will keep it. Currently I have my eye on the Centroid Acorn offering:

http://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_diy/acorn_cnc_controller.html

Cheap it ain't once landed in the UK with Shipping, VAT and customs charges, but it seems a very capable controller that ticks most of the boxes.

DICKEYBIRD:
Very nice Andrew, it even came pre-swarfed!  That's going to be a great machine when you finish with it.  I like my little ORAC but being based on the Compact 8 design is only 8" swing.  The Mirac's bigger I'm sure.  About 10" I think.  Have you looked at what size stock it'll take "up the snout?"  The ORAC's only 20mm.  Sure wish it would do about 25.

Can't wait to watch you do you thing!  :clap:

tom osselton:
Should be another interesting project! I'll pop some corn!

Meldonmech:
Hi Andrew

Looking good, new it would'nt be long before you embarked on another big project to keep you amused.

Good Luck
                                                          Cheers David

Will_D:
You are an inspiration Andrew.

Following your projects is what gives me the Kick-up-the_ar*e I need to keep plodding on.

Looking forward to this.

I also looked at the Acorn controller for my little Sieg X2P CNCconversion.

Cheers

Will

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version