The Shop > Metal Stuff

Stainless steel welding bench?

(1/2) > >>

howsitwork?:
Guys
Having seen some very nice welding benches, and got a “reasonable amateur MIG” recently, I wondered about a bench. The garage is a little crowded with cars  a Mill, grinders etc so one that could go outside seemed a good idea ? I then thought about a stainless steel bench ex say butchers for example, the intention is to rest work pieces on it having it earthed to the welder and weld resting on it. Are there any issues here I don’t know about? I realise I need to keep the work in contact with the bench a5 all times and probably sand the bench lightly between sessions but is it a goer???

I cou”d add a further earth strap from bench to work piece .

Cheers Ian

Pete.:
Can't see a problem with it. I used to have such a bench now I have a mild steel top and all I do is leave the earth clamp connected to the leg of the bench.

mattinker:
Aluminium makes a very good surface, conducts well and steel doesn't stick to it!

Regards, Matthew

awemawson:
Catering stainless work surfaces tend to be pretty thin. I'm sure there must be heavy duty ones but I've never come across them.

sparky961:
Keep in mind that common stainless steels don't conduct heat well, and (check me on this one) I think the electrical conductivity is low too.

I like the idea of aluminum better.  You wouldn't have to worry about spatter sticking to it as much, and you're unlikely to weld anything to it accidentally.  Conductivity is high and oxidation controlled.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version