Author Topic: Tire Pressure Gauge Recommendations  (Read 3216 times)

Offline sparky961

Tire Pressure Gauge Recommendations
« on: February 10, 2018, 02:05:24 PM »
I don't know about everyone else, but I have a hell of a time keeping air in my tires.  I can take my truck to a shop to have the tires remounted and tell them to GLUE THE F**ING THINGS ON TO THE RIMS, and I get maybe a year before I'm topping them up every week or two.  This is true of my aluminum summer rims and steel winter rims.

Of course, this means that I'm forced to keep an eye on the pressure (no TPMS on a 2004 GMC Canyon) and I've been through a number of tire pressure gauges that either broke or couldn't be trusted within 10 PSI (67 kPa).  I'm not afraid to spend some money on a tool that lasts, but I hate spending money multiple times on crap that doesn't work.

Hmmmm..... That also makes me wonder if I should even bother, as my next vehicle is likely to have TPMS.

I'll also take any suggestions for portable 12V inflators that will run at 100% duty cycle for an indefinite period of time, and will outlast me.  I've gone through perhaps three or four in the last 15 years and could have spent that money on a decent one.

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
Re: Tire Pressure Gauge Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 05:07:01 PM »
Sparky.
There was much discussion, on one of my other forums. As to which was the best/ most accurate gauge.

This won, by a long way...... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Race-X-Professional-Tyre-Pressure-Gauge-Case-RX0014-PSI-BAR-for-Van-Bike-Car/202067637545?epid=1825164546&hash=item2f0c2b7529:g:a2gAAOSw0oBZzQ-N

A professional gauge. I've had mine for a couple of years, so far. It's perfect!  :thumbup:
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline sparky961

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 05:40:26 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion, David.  I had a similar one years back and really liked it.  I'm not sure if I lost it, decided I didn't need it, or it broke.  I'll probably find it in some dark corner during a serious clean-out. ;)

Offline timby

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 04:06:58 AM »
I used to have the same leakage problems as you have when I had an old car with rusty steel rims.

This stuff worked for me,    http://bit.ly/2G2kMso

Offline mattinker

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 05:10:47 AM »
I used to have the same leakage problems as you have when I had an old car with rusty steel rims.

This stuff worked for me,    http://bit.ly/2G2kMso

It works well, I've used it myself, but be aware that tyre fitters are going to hate you, all that crud on the rim!

Regards, Matthew

Offline sparky961

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 09:59:17 AM »
I've tried the "Slime" brand in my riding mower before, and didn't find that it worked very well.  Very messy stuff when taking the tire off the rim.

Do you know if the one mentioned above is a similar chemistry, or something entirely different?

Offline mcostello

• Lancaster, Ohio
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 12:55:01 PM »
We had the tire pressure things, hope I never have them again at $100 a pop, I'll check the tires myself.
High Speed steel in a Carbide world.