The Shop > Electronics & IC Programing

How do you terminate your coax to BNC?

(1/5) > >>

PekkaNF:
We were pampered 30 years ago in school electronics lab. No shortage of test leads.

There is usually vety little point of rolling your own BNC/RG58 stuff, but on RG174 or RG316U cables, and panel connectors etc.

I'm having a hard time finding crimpping pliers for AF 1,75 mm pin and 5,6 mm sleeve.

https://www.tme.eu/fi/details/5-1634500-1/bnc-liittimet/te-connectivity/

Dimenssions:
https://www.tme.eu/fi/Document/11a4780343b55fee08f6e9023cade175/5-1634500-1.pdf

Will_D:
Surely Farnell or Radionics would stock crimpers ( at a price  :bugeye: )

Cheers

Will

eskoilola:
Pekka,
I have (at home, now in Frankfurt) about 200 different BNC connectors, variety of coax cables - and no crimping equipment.

I think I have tried it all.

The best so far has been to:
1. peel off about 20 mm of the outermost palstic shield
2. solder the center pin so that the coax insulator "meets" the pin
3. Push the pin and the coax (now soldered) into the connector
4. Pull the coax copper shilding over the connector
5. Wrap copper wire around the part of the coax shield which is overlapping the connector shield
6. cut off excess coax shield
7. Solder the shield into the connector

Although the coax insulation may melt somewhat I have never succeeded to create a short there

The result will NOT win any beauty contest but it works. You may camouflage the connection by shrink tubing.

PekkaNF:
Kiitti Esko,

I'll try that one. I have hacked few connectors 50% right: they had pint that could be soldered.

This far I have managed with mutilated readily crimpped cable etc. but I see that I am spending more time with different pieces of cabling, connectors and stuff.

At work there were trained porfessionals that would do hard part. Now I am on my own with my hobbies and I realize that there were questions I should have made (and surplus material I should have begged).

Next quesion: At the end of the thin 50 ohm coax I need short pigtails, which (readily) available wire would be good? Flexible ethernet twisted pair?

eskoilola:
Making pigtail on a coax cable is quite easy. I found a video in YouTube which shows the method I have been using - the only difference being that I bend the coax shielding backwards and make the joint over the coax insulation.
The pigtail needs some support and insulation. Shrink tubing is OK but for better durability I use plastic tube over the end of the coax, gaps filled with Sikaflex. The Sika creates a flexible joint which makes the wires last longer.

The Youtube video is here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version