Author Topic: Aldi specials again (23 Feb 2018)  (Read 3413 times)

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
Aldi specials again (23 Feb 2018)
« on: February 23, 2018, 05:32:54 PM »
Just a heads up for those of us who like dirt cheap tools... I happened to be in Aldi buying a pint of milk earlier, and stumbled across a pile of rather nice looking scroll saws, for £40 each (marked down from £60).  There were about 12-15 out on the floor at the Bidston Aldi (next to B&Q), well, 11-14 now as one of them accidentally fell into my trolley  :thumbup: I've no idea how good it is, but as it's got the usual 3 year warranty, that's only £13.33/year even if it does go belly up a day after the warranty expires!

Interestingly it doesn't appear on their website, so it MIGHT be store-specific?

If anyone's interested, I'll whip it out of its box tomorrow & see if it's any good, & take some piccies.
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline howsitwork?

Re: Aldi specials again (23 Feb 2018)
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 10:49:18 AM »
Ade
Not sure of the quality but upgrading to Hefner blades is well worth doing. MUCH better quality and last ages until you get enthusiastic and snap it .

So your back in UK again eh? No doubt the glorious weather brought you back, too. Ugh monsoons not good for you bits go mouldy.

Regards Ian

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 02:55:39 PM »
We have Aldi here in the States... I never see the tools you guys get in yours tho...
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline howsitwork?

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 03:20:41 PM »
Oops damn autocorrect that should read HEGNER BLADES in my post

Ian

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 03:58:26 PM »

Hmm!  I got mine at full price but shopped at nearby Screwfix for a pack of assorted blades.

It's been too cold and now snowy to test it. Any more comments please?

Norm

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 03:39:05 AM »
We have Aldi here in the States... I never see the tools you guys get in yours tho...

They must do them occasionally.... the only review I could find for an Aldi scroll saw was from your side of the pond (he swapped the blades for Ryobi ones IIRC. Seems like the blades are the achillies heel of this particular item...

I haven't unboxed mine yet. It's too damn cold in the workshop to be doing anything...
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2018, 05:46:25 AM »
Thanks.  When you open the box, you will find that it only contains 2 pegged blades which only look like coping saw ones.

Realizing the possible shortage was the reason for my shopping trip to Screwfix. there was  also Axminster offering them but is some distance away.

So I wish you luck- when the 'Beast from the East' goes away.

Cheers

N

Offline millwright

• Leeds West Yorshire
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2018, 03:09:22 PM »
I'll back up Ian's comment about Heger Blades, Olson is another excellent blade obviously it depends on what material you are using the saw for. soft woods and plastics cheap blades are ok. steel aluminium brass quality blades pay dividends. carbon fibre wears any blade out very quickly. I found that out myself!!!!!!!!

John

Offline howsitwork?

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2018, 04:41:21 AM »
Hmmm, haven’t tried any carbon yet. Not really thought it worth the hassle for the RC models as with my (lack) of skill level and weight savings are outweighed by the glue from the repairs !

Never tried Olsen blades but they do get honourable mention from several sources. If it’s possible it’s worth modifying the blade grips to take flat blades as there’s a far greater range of these available. I’ve cut 40mm mild steel on my hegner, took a while and lots of oil dripped on but it did it. If you’re cutting wood  I would recommend setting up an extractor nearby the table. Yes it’s a pain but otherwise the fine dust really gets to you . Nothing fancy needed even the vacuum cleaner hose nearby on the opposite side to you helps.
On plastics I NOW turn the speed right down. It’s possible to weld the blade into the materials don’t you know?  Very embarrassing and had to write that one off.
Ian

Offline MetalMagus

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2018, 07:26:40 AM »
Olson do a conversion kit to allow you to use flat blades rather than pegged.

There's a list of the saws it was designed for but they all seem to follow a generic theme so will probably work on others.

I have a kit waiting to be fitted to my B&Q saw that I bought many years ago.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Olson-SA4961-Scroll-Blade-Conversion/dp/B005ELXNX6

Regards

Sean

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2018, 10:47:07 AM »
The Aldi saw has the conversion kit as part and parcel of the  offer.

Not exotic or anything near-- but it works.