Author Topic: Hello i have just joined up  (Read 5313 times)

Offline ieezitin

Hello i have just joined up
« on: May 23, 2009, 12:44:04 PM »
Hi peoples, I would like to introduce myself, my name is Tony Bird I am 46 and was born in Greenwich, London England,  for the last twenty years I have lived in the wonderful United States here on the Eastern shore of Maryland, I was searching Youtube and saw the video on the ball shaper tool which in turn “ excuse the pun” led me here, let me say I I have been machining since I was 12 and that tool is very innovative.

Me and the wife have a ten acre farm where she boards the horses and I do the work, my reward to this is I have for the first time in my life a work shop 40ftx40ft stuffed with machines, hand tools, material stock and the like, I have my eye on the barn 60ftx40ftx18ft high and have already drawn up plans for a mega machine/welding facility. THIS WILL HAPPEN. I am employed as a pipe fitter welder and I hate it, “but the pay is good”  but my apprenticeship was in the machine shop, it’s a shame here in the states that the pay for machinists is so low. Machining is my true love and passion, the wife calls me the Lathe Nut, I would never cheat on the wife unless her name was Southbend. Then if she fell pregnant the little blighter would be called “Boxford”. anyways        I must say I do not make models, but I make and design tooling, repair and restore machine tools, invent gadgets that makes the old wife say WoW, I am into renewable energy machinery and like all true Englishmen I love to garden, “ tip don’t turn down carrots in the four jaw it gets messy and they don’t hold a tolerance”. My second passion is auctions for machinery, and like the new member Leeway its my goal to make a living at what I love to do, I am nearly there now so wish me luck.

My latest project is restoring a 1940 era 9 inch Southbend lathe, I saw her wilting on an old oak table in the corner of an old machine shop in Baltimore in an old Fertilizer plant where I was working, the guy that owned her said if I was to weld up 9 3” stainless pipe joints for his tug boat she would be mine, alas when I drove up with this beauty in the back of the pick up my wife said “ Wow nice honey! God its filthy what is it? :bugeye: “  I said goodbye and walked into my little piece of heaven “ the shop” cracked a beer and started planning her new home.

So what I bring to the table is machining and welding skills, on the restore side I specialize in southbend and Atlas lathes, millers, shapers and part out parts etc. so if you guys need anything do not hesitate to email me. I have some weakness’ in the areas of electronics, cnc etc and I hope to drain your minds in these fields. I will be posting questions shortly. Thanks and I am glad to be here. Toodle PIP

If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My Photo website
Re: Hello i have just joined up
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 12:51:12 PM »
Well a warm welcome to the collective  :borg:, pull up a chair and join in the fun.

I'm sure I speak for myself ( possibly others too) when I say  :worthless: We wanna see your massive workshop, and your restorations.

Tim
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe  -  MI0TME

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 12:52:56 PM »
Hi Tony

Welcome aboard the cube  :borg:

By the sounds of it you'll fit in fine her, I've got a bit of a soft spot for South Bends one of the first machines I used as an apprentice, an ex lease lend machine.

Have fun

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline CrewCab

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 02:32:28 PM »
Welcome aboard Tony,  :beer:

CC

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 03:49:56 AM »
Big Derbyshire welcome Tony!  :wave:

Show us lots of pics, and you`re in.......  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

bogstandard

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 04:14:00 AM »
Welcome Tony.

You seem to be a man after my own heart. I too have a love for old Atlas lathes, and restored my own 10F from a box of broken and bent bits.

I was accused of having a fetish, all because I love the 'curves' on old machinery, they are there just to be stroked and appreciated. Sadly I 'lost' mine to a new owner last year, but not before I had done loads of mods on it to bring it right up to date and cure a few known 'problems', so if you want any pointers in that direction, just ask.

Joh

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 06:39:26 AM »
Hi Tony  :wave:

Welcome to the nicest most relaxed forum on the interweb  :borg:  (IMHO)   :mmr:

Don't just post questions Tony, how about a few piccy's of your lathes etc?

There is nothing wrong with not making models.... This site is about all sorts (you might have noticed?) some people have the talent for other things as well, this is always a good thing because it helps the rest of us gain an understanding of their way of thinking.

I'm still getting the hang of my machines and their capabilities... I'm getting better I think? Still have the occasional issue..... But then that's what makes it a challenge eh? :thumbup:

Anyway, I'm waffling (this happens a lot! ::) )

Have fun and feel free to join in where you like  :)

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 10:58:13 PM »
Hi Tony!

Welcome to the collective  :borg:

Sorry I am late, I was on a mini holiday with the family. As Ralph said, worry not about making models... we all have many interests!

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 07:35:56 AM »
Tony,

Welcome to the collective  :borg: .

Hey this place more than just models. Anything you make or mdo is fair game.

Regards,
Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 02:27:21 AM »
ieezitin 

Was just reading some old posts and noticed that you haven't been back since your introductory post.  :coffee:  I checked out your collection of photos of your equipment and shop and you look like you have an amazing place there. From the sounds of it your wife has the horses that she likes and you have your shop which is a nice size. I see that you have poped in to read a few post as late as August. Feel free to join in on any of the threads or start one of your own. If you have any questions we have quite a variety of expertise that always like to do their best to help someone. Look forward to an update on your shop and what you might be building.  :D :D :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don

Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline chuck foster

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2009, 09:04:34 PM »
a very late welcome tony.............i think you will fit in here just fine  :borg:

as others have said  :worthless:  lets see some pics.  :nrocks: :nrocks:

chuck  :wave:
hitting and missing all the way :)

former hmem member