Gallery, Projects and General > How do I??

Bonding Polycarbonate / Lexan Windows Into Steel Panels?

(1/5) > >>

awemawson:
Having had a good think about the fitting of a window in the door of my MIRAC CNC lathe I'm giving consideration to just bonding the Polycarbonate sheet to the steel of the sliding door.

Youtube abounds with people fitting purpose made van windows but nothing really using a plain bit of Polycarbonate / Lexan.

Has anyone experience of this? Is there a trim to neaten the edge ?

kayzed1:
Andrew, when i cut the plastic screen down ( so i could see over it ) on my new scooter ( winter transport ) i just used a 1/2 round file on a bit of steel, filed it in about the depth of the sheet thickness and dragged it over the plastic until a nice 1/2 round edge formed. Looks just like the factory edge as well. Ow! and cost 0£'s.
Lyn. Ps; will nip down and ask the lad what he uses on JCB windows ( plastic small windows )

Edit: Tony says it was automotive windscreen sealer from the local parts place, or he has used Tiger seal but it tends
to be grey if that is ok..He says Tiger seal will stick MOST things..

BaronJ:
Hi Andrew,

A soft flame will tidy up the edge of the plastic.  Careful not to char it or set it on fire.  Flame polishing is a common process for plastic.

kayzed1:

--- Quote from: Baron on March 16, 2018, 12:10:43 PM ---Hi Andrew,

A soft flame will tidy up the edge of the plastic.  Careful not to char it or set it on fire.  Flame polishing is a common process for plastic.

--- End quote ---

I will give that a test run on a bit of spare, many thanks.
Lyn.

eskoilola:
Polycarbonate does not react well on warming. It becomes soft but does not really melt to polish up. Try with a crap piece before charring the item itself.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version