Author Topic: A good few hours work  (Read 5664 times)

bogstandard

A good few hours work
« on: May 24, 2009, 12:48:22 PM »
I knew yesterday that the weather was going to be good, and made the decision that if I felt up to it today, I would try to get a little clearing up done.

Over the months, a few good friends off this site have been dropping me off bits of metal that require recycling, from lengths of ali flat bar to a very large lump of round cast iron.

This is the pile I have to work with. The big plastic box it is all sitting on is about 5ft long, so you can see just how much material I have to recycle.

Because it was going to be nice weather, I decided to open the bottom door to my storage and metal prep area and sit outside while the power hacksaw did it's work.
This is really the first time I had used this saw in anger since I had installed it last year, and had only cut up a couple of small steel bars and a chunk of brass with it. The big cast iron bar was really the first bit of hard work it had ever done, and I found that the air strut is in fact too strong and held the pressure off the cut. So if you can see the lift handle, I put an angle plate and the first cast iron cutoff on there, and that gave the perfect downwards pressure on the blade. Taking just 15 mins to cut thru over 3" of cast iron.
I will make up a proper pressure weight I can hang on there sometime in the future.

A close up of the blade half way thru the cast bar. Here I am cutting off flywheel width sized blanks.
After I had finished for the day, I checked out the blade. It was still razor sharp, so I now know the half dozen spare blades I bought are going to last a l-o-n-g time.

This isn't all the metal cut up, I still have the same amount of flat steel bar to do. A very welcome addition to my dwindling steel stock.

So I would just like to thank the friends who gave me all this raw material, not just for the metal, but getting me out working hard for the first time in many months.

Time for a shower, something to eat, then a well earned rest.

Bogs
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 03:21:06 PM by bogstandard »

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
Re: A good few hours work
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 02:24:38 PM »
Nice to see you doing a bit John.  :thumbup:

I'll pop round sometime tomorrow.

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

bogstandard

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 03:23:24 PM »
As you know Stew, you are always welcome.

My mate Tel is coming around tomorrow, so you might get to meet him. No idea what time though.

John

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 07:39:45 PM »
Looks like that stock is piling up nicely John. 

'Bout time that saw got a bit of use   :thumbup:

Ralph.
I know what I know and need to know more!!!

Offline PTsideshow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 09:42:08 PM »
Always nice to get some sun, and do a bit even if it's only cleaning up! good for you. Seems the only shop work I 'm getting done lately is fixing lawn tractors, tires and mowers. But its better than nothing  :ddb: :ddb:
glen
"The internet just a figment, of my imagination!' 

There are only 3 things I can't do!"
Raise the Dead!
        Walk on water!
                 Fix a broken heart!
and I'm working on the first two!
glen

bogstandard

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 01:26:34 AM »
If the weather doesn't break Ralph, I will get the rest done. It just eats thru the flat bar. It makes me sweat just watching it.

But I suppose Mal needs a break every now and then  :whip: :whip:

I really needed a good day Glen, it has inspired me to get about a bit more.

I will wait until the sparrows stop coughing, and I will be out there again today.

John

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 02:22:26 AM »
Nice to see you`re up & doin` John!  :clap:

Hope you have a good day......  :wave:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 06:59:12 AM »
Glad to see you out and about John!

And making shavings too!!

Scott
SPiN Racing

Offline ozzie46

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 07:01:39 AM »

Nothing like a productive day to improve your spirits and outlook on things. :D :D :D
  Nice to see you out and about John. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Ron

bogstandard

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 07:22:59 AM »
Thanks very much gents, but it is early days yet, and I feel nowhere near good enough to risk it in the shop.

So it will be tinkering and pottering about for the next few weeks yet. Might even get a feather duster out.

A couple of gearboxes on the lathe need oil changes, so that will keep me occupied for a while.

But I do have a couple of fairly important projects to get on with when eventually I can get back in there. So I am going to get all the calculations and sketches done, so I will have a head start.

Back to the grind hacksaw.

John