The Shop > Our Shop

Damp proofing

(1/3) > >>

John Rudd:
So my new garage is a bit of a diappointment at the new house!

Its as wet inside as it is outside....the bricks are very permeable...

So what is the best way of making the inside more conducive for machinery and working in?

I'm thinking some Thompsons waterproofing for the brickwork externally and then adding a dpm on the inside,adding some studding and then timber sheeting to line the inside with an insulating foam infill between the studs....

Any alternative/better ideas?

Peter Cordell:

--- Quote --- bricks are very permeable
--- End quote ---
Replace the bottom two rows with engineering bricks, check the all the guttering and down pipes ect

velocette:
Hi John
Disappointed I certainly would be sorry if I ramble on a bit with more questions than answers
Has the floor slab been laid on an impermeable  plastic sheet and a "Damp Course" in the outside walls. Acrylic  Paint on the outside will keep the wet out.
An air gap between the proposed studding will help if open at the top as dry air is heavier that wet air. What are ground conditions like around the foundations do they require added drainage.

Eric

chipenter:
I would also put some drains in the perps they will also let some air in , they are easyer to fit tham air bricks .

John Rudd:
Perhaps I ought to have given a bit more detail....

This is a brand new house built on a green field site.

All construction conforms to local building regs/NHBC  standards.

The dampness I refer to is occurent when it rains. So can be directional. Ie all walls do not become saturated at the same time.
I dont hink its a drainage issue. Just the fact that the type of brick used is very porous. Obviously the house bricks are the same but the dampness is nanaged within the construction of the cavity walls.

The garage floor is of slab construction with a dpm.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version