Gallery, Projects and General > How do I??

Cross slide replacement nut

(1/4) > >>

appletree:
After a bit of advice, I have a stunning Raglan 5 inch lathe, however the cross travel nut is disproportionally worn and requires replacement so :-
I have been advised that Raglan made the nuts from brass as opposed to bronze to minimise wear on the screw, recommendations Please?

I cannot measure the screw did easily without disassembly, which I do not want to do just now.

Appears to be about 5/8 od square thread, 8tpi LH

1 What material?
2 Screwcut?
3 Make a tap from silver steel an heat treat?
4 Make new screw and nut in 10tpi (dials easier to use)?

Comments,experiance other ideas please Phil

John Rudd:
1) go for brass....easier to work with
2)ermmm dunno really..
3) could do..
4) that would be my choice, making life a lot easier all round, but keep the orig parts in case you decide to sell on the lathe...lh taps/dies can be bought from RDG without being too expensive..

NormanV:
You could try here:
http://www.latheparts.co.uk/

appletree:
Yea if I went for 10 tpiit would solve a few issues, I think RDG taps are acme but with a fresh start that would not be a problem.
If screw cutting I would have to machine towards the tail stock (blind) as my chuck is screwed on a not ideal for reverse rotation.

Keep the experience coming guys (thanks John).

Phil

appletree:
Hi Norman that was my original idea, have had a couple of things of John before and they have been very good. I ordered the said nut and a long tee slotted cross slide nearly 18 months ago and waiting.

Phil

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version