The Shop > Metal Stuff

Inverter or mig or indeed Tig

(1/4) > >>

Fortis64:
Morning peeps . I'm on a really tight budget and I'm on the look out for a hobbyist welder for the shed . I do a bit of machining with an old Fortis lathe from the 40's and a Centec 2 mil also from the 40's  ... Anyways I have a 30 yr buzzbox stick welder  and I've become tired with the lack of welding time (thermal overload) which sucks when you in the middle of welding on a project . My question is should I go stick inverter or mig gassless . I don't think my budget would stretch for a stick/Tig welder . I like doing a bit of wrought iron stuff once in a while too   .I don't generally do any heavy welding .

Thanks
Sean 

mattinker:
Sean,
I had a buzz box for many years, I replaced it with an inverter capable of welding up to 4mm ø rods. You will have more flexibility with an inverter, it will be smaller and have a larger capacity!

Regards, Matthew

Fortis64:
Thanks for replying . How are the cycle times (thermal cut off) compared to the buzz box you had ?Have to admit the small inverters are kinda getting my attention   

Sean

mattinker:

--- Quote from: Fortis64 on March 25, 2018, 04:12:50 AM ---Thanks for replying . How are the cycle times (thermal cut off) compared to the buzz box you had ?Have to admit the small inverters are kinda getting my attention   

Sean

--- End quote ---

My old buzz box was huge, it didn't ever cut out, my inverter doesn't cut out either!

Regards, Matthew

angus:
Fit a cooling fan in the case of your existing welder.... makes a lot of difference

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version