Author Topic: let ther be light  (Read 2895 times)

Offline krv3000

let ther be light
« on: March 29, 2018, 04:17:20 PM »
hi all im in need of sum help john has got me a carbide bike lamp its French make is cicca its complete I think but I don't no I have had a look on the net plenty of pics of this type of lamp but im after a parts list/ diagram showing gaskets rubber rings  that sort of stuff I will be doing a post on the refurb of the lamp but want as much info as possible be for I rip it a part     

Offline kayzed1

Offline Fergus OMore

Re: let ther be light
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2018, 05:47:48 AM »
Hi Bob

Long time ago but I cannot see that there is much in a carbide lamp.
I'd go to the Beamish Museum and see what they have.

Carbide lamps were common in 'non gassy' pits which were local in both our areas.
Me Dah had one at Greenside Colliery and I recall that the old motor bikes used them as standard.

The urine which was usually wanted, I guess that you'll have to find a more local supply :beer:

As kids we used to get scrap carbide that had been emptied at the old Catherine pit and we made carbide guns with pop  bottles. You can guess the rest!

Cheers

Norm

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2018, 06:30:45 AM »
At school we used to put some in the ink wells in the desks - the acetylene used to stink for hours  :bugeye:

(early 1960's when we had to write copper plate script with dip pens)
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline NormanV

• United Kingdom
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2018, 06:38:43 AM »
Andrew, I also remember those days, except I could never master the copperplate script, mine was more like a spider crawling across the page!
I coveted job was to be "ink monitor" to fill the inkwells.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2018, 01:48:39 PM »
Norman, Nor did I manage the copper plate script - probably as they were forcing me, as a left hander, to write right handed !
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2018, 03:14:10 PM »
Norman, Nor did I manage the copper plate script - probably as they were forcing me, as a left hander, to write right handed !

And then there was Leonardo Da Vinci. :bow:

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2018, 10:35:15 PM »
I had a carbide lamp and a carbide canon when I was a kid. The cannons went under the name "Bangsite", and the carbide granules -- the Bangsite itself - came in a squeeze tube. There was a little dipper built into the canon's igniter to measure out the right amount. The igniter used cigarette lighter flints.

The lamp was a miner's lamp - brass body to take the carbide and above it a little tank with a lever that controlled the drip rate. Big reflector.
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg