Author Topic: WM250 lathe crosslide issues  (Read 3042 times)

Offline picclock

WM250 lathe crosslide issues
« on: March 29, 2018, 04:25:57 AM »
So I just bought myself a WM250V lathe from Warco. When I purchased it I noticed that the toolholder attaches to the crosslide with a T slots clamp arrangement. This looked like it was a bit close to the spindle. After discussion with one of the techs I was told the toolholder could be adjusted because of the T slots.

Having got the lathe the toolholder to spindle centre distance is 3.25" maximum. The largest diameter that could be turned with a tool is just over 6", which is a bit small for a lathe selling itself as a 10x22.

However I now find this is not the case as the tool-post has a pin which locates it in the crosslide. So I'm posting here to find out if anyone else has this problem and what the best coarse of action would be. I could remove the pin - not sure what it does anyway apart from registering the angle adjustment, or I could drill another hole further out to allow the post to be re-positioned.

And then I thought I would ask the madmodder experts because someone has almost certainly had this issue before.

Apart from this issue the lathe is pretty good. The VF drive is excellent, smooth and powerful, and goes down to well below 30 rpm.

Would be nice if the change gears cover was attached with a hinge or some form of clip because those knurled nuts and the safety interlock are an irritation.

Any help or other 'fixes' on this much appreciated.

Best Regards

picclock
Engaged in the art of turning large pieces of useful material into ever smaller pieces of (s)crap. (Ferndown, Dorset)

Offline chipenter

Re: WM250 lathe crosslide issues
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 05:56:19 AM »
That make sense as 6" is the swing over the cross slide , the centre pin goes under the clamp for the compound for the toolpost , the spares drawing in the manuell will give you more info .
Jeff

Offline picclock

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 09:13:41 AM »
@ chipenter

Thank you for the info. I was hoping to be able to turn larger diameters but I misread/misunderstood the specification. I can overhang the tool (perhaps up to 20mm) for a bit to do larger diameter facing but this may prove a limitation for me. Using a quick measurement it looks like less than 3" above the cross slide, in fact manual says 150mm.

Best Regards

picclock

Engaged in the art of turning large pieces of useful material into ever smaller pieces of (s)crap. (Ferndown, Dorset)

Offline chipenter

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 11:33:35 AM »
Yes I ment diamiter I had a custom toolholder for large diamiters made from 4" x 1/2" angle , that bolts on the cross slide .
Jeff

Offline picclock

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 06:11:23 AM »
@chipenter
I think I will have to make a similar arrangement. I upgraded my old lathe primarily in order to do better thread cutting as the half nuts and leadscrew on the old one were shot. I normally use the mill for most of my work.

Have you fitted glass scales to yours? Looks like being awkward for the crosslide bit.

Am already fed up with the cover for the change gears. Think I will alter it a bit and hinge it from the back with a magnetic catch on the front. Will remove the safety switch and replace it with a microswitch (or may just move existing switch if there is room) which will operate from the front. If I can do it I will also see if its possible to store the 'fast' belt on clips at the hinged end, and possibly the change gears inside. If they are not with the machine and caged they will walk away on there own  :scratch: .

Best Regards

picclock

Online awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2018, 06:21:01 AM »
You may regret having a magnetic catch so close to swarf, unless of course you only machine brass and plastics  :scratch:

. . . just a thought . . .  :thumbup:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex