Author Topic: let ther be light  (Read 6949 times)

Offline krv3000

let ther be light
« on: April 01, 2018, 04:56:14 PM »
hi all I got a carbide lamp off john so I have bin on with it in all its ok just needs my loving touch  a lot of the rivets have cum out I was surprised that they where aluminium and not copper or brass any way I removed the front lenses cover as the rivets on the hinge had broken off the lenses it self is broken I will get a new one but to stop it all falling to bits when I remove the retaining ring I went over the broken parts with thick super glue to keep it in one bit then I removed the brackets and wind Gard of  the lamp bowl  then gave them a good buff up right pics       

Offline howsitwork?

Re: let ther be light
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 05:14:28 AM »
Very nice,

Lot of work though .

Good luck
Ian

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 07:28:10 AM »
Bob

It looks like a cycle lamp as it has a bike bracket

'Lead kindly light!'

Regards

N

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 02:05:09 PM »
Looking forward to this I have always liked these lamps.

Offline krv3000

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 02:28:09 PM »
hi yep its a cycle lamp any way I re riveted the wind Gard and bracket back on desolderd the base of the water container so I can remove sum dents and  when I make the tank filling  top it can be soldered in place am thinking of strengthening up the bottom cap where the gas burner goes threw I removed the spring loaded mounting bracket and put them in a gar with citric acid to remove the rust then gave them a cote of rust inhibitor then panted them black right pics       

Offline krv3000

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 06:55:45 PM »
hi all did a bit more tonight made a bracket up to hold a red lens that points back and finish the fix on the bottom and tined the water container at the bottom and the cap that seals it off   right pics

Offline krv3000

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 07:00:10 PM »
lol did not post pics of the bottom before fix        :doh:        right  pics

Offline krv3000

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2018, 07:29:58 AM »
ok all its Neely finish I resolderd  the bottom of the water tank back on and the burner tube then I made a plate out of brass to go on the bottom just to sit inside the space where the burner tube sits don't no if tis is right but looking at watt holds the felt filter I think there shod be something like that there any way fitted the filter then filled the tank with soapy water  then cheeked for  leeks there was non and cheeked the valve to see that it let the water run out all ok I made a rubber seal for the bottom tank that holds the carbide and yep it works pics   

Offline krv3000

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2018, 07:45:37 AM »
right I made the attachment for the water tank filler out of a safety proxsimatrey switch with is m12x1 pitch then made the cap  and with a ball Bering and sum thin brass sheet I made the dome top its not finish yet it needs a hole in it and sum chain so you don't loos it when filling up I got mick to by me a new lenses that was on the net I had grate trouble in fit  originally the lenses was held in by steel wire say 1mm thick well rather than steel I opted for brass well sods law no 1mm brass rod so I shaved dawn sum 1.5 to 1 took me ages any way fitted that so the gobs left to do is getting less  right pics       

Offline krv3000

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2018, 08:00:23 AM »
lol yet more the red light I got sum red glass of mick it was the right with but a bit to long anyway cut it off then with diamond files rounded the bottom of so it fits right as I don't have nothing to go on I don't no haw the lenses is held in so on mine I have sum hi temp epoxy that will have to do originally the deflector is riveted on well as the one I have made is not the right one im growing to youse sum stanles steel screws discysed as rivets  the same goes for the light deflector I managed to fit the mounting brackets but one of the springs broke so as per non the exact same so had to make one out of watt I had at hand   right pics

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2018, 09:58:10 AM »
Nice one Bob  :thumbup:

Don't blow yourself up  :zap:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline krv3000

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2018, 04:15:54 PM »
lol as all redy dun that had a go at making a gas generator I used a glass jar witch went bang  :)

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2018, 09:40:25 PM »
And did you have your safety glasses on?  :coffee:

Offline krv3000

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2018, 03:53:14 PM »
errr wots them

Offline krv3000

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2018, 04:23:15 PM »
hi all did any one spot the mistake in the mounting bracket any way did a bit more tonight I finish off the filler cap I made a retainer out of brass wire  for one end off the bobbly chain that's the end that goes in to the tank the other end I remove one of the balls so the pin link goes threw the hole in the cap then I drilled a series of 1mm holes in the dome that's the cap dun next I fitted the bezel I made two 2mm stanles steel screws to look like rivets by placing  a dome of soft solder on there heads them just screwed the bezel to its hinge right pics

Offline DaveS

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2018, 05:00:11 PM »
very enlightning methods your using there Bob!
Reminds me of teenage cycling days when an older member of the club always used this type of lamp.

Dave

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2018, 06:22:30 AM »

Hi Bob
                      An interesting and unusual project. Well done

Cheers David

Offline krv3000

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2018, 05:11:18 PM »
hi thanks all last bit finish off the red light deflector and fitted it their is one last job to be dun but until I find the right spring its on hold on the inside where the fuzzy rock goes yep that's watt it says on the tin  there is a brass plate that goes on top of the carbide this has a spring on it its job is to keep the carbide from moving I have the plate but as I say need a spring any way thank you all for the comments pics   

Offline DaveS

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2018, 04:07:20 AM »
Bob,

Have you a rough idea as to the dimension of the spring, if so I'll have a rummage in shed.

Dave

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2018, 02:46:19 PM »
Great job on that! Where can you get the carbide for them and how long does a piece last?

Offline seadog

• NE London
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2018, 03:58:36 PM »
eBay.

Offline vintageandclassicrepairs

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2018, 05:10:17 PM »
Hi Bob and All,
Great work on the lamp
If I may make an observation?
All the carbide lamps I have seen have a glass mirror / reflector behind the burner
I cannot see one in yours?
They are very often cracked or broken though  :bang:

John

Offline krv3000

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2018, 06:40:39 PM »
hi all Dave the spring is shaped like the ones you find in the bottom of torches I.E cone shape as to the dimensions I have no idea I will put sum pics of the plate that the spring goes on to I no its cone shaped as I have fawned a diagram of the inner workings of the cicca lamp  but its not in portent yet  as it will never be put on a bike hi john no this make of lamp witch French had no mirror in them the bowel was crome plated  hi Dave the fuzzy rock as it says on the tin can be got from the net and in sum shops that cater for people that go pot holing well as to haw long it lasts hard to say I put sum in tonight just to show john it working just enough to cover the bottom of the tank and it ran for 3 awers john did sum video of it . it my be on next Sunday night  cap      by for gnaw will put pics up of the spring base tomorrow thanks all hope you all enjoyed my post

Offline krv3000

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2018, 06:51:22 PM »
hi just had a look at sum of the pics I have and I have sum with the plate that the spring fits on to its the one on the right with out the hols in just the mane hole in the middle and a pic of it after a clean

Offline krv3000

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2018, 04:14:08 PM »
hi as promist pics of the retaining plate and a ruff set up of watt the spring shod look like the sample spring is just sum solder and sum pics of the fizzy rock tin enjoy