Author Topic: Glass scales info needed  (Read 2485 times)

Offline picclock

Glass scales info needed
« on: April 09, 2018, 07:16:11 AM »
Hi All

I recently purchased some glass scales from china which were advertised as .001mm. When I received the kit I found out that the scales were labelled 0.005mm. When hooked up, sure enough they were 5u scales.

The supplier then sent some extra read heads which they claimed were 1u. However they still only 
read in 5u steps. If I change the read out to 1u they read 1/5th of the distance moved for the same display figures.

Is it possible that the heads are 1u capable but the scales themselves are etched to the wrong resolution ?

Any info much appreciated

Best Regards

picclock
Engaged in the art of turning large pieces of useful material into ever smaller pieces of (s)crap. (Ferndown, Dorset)

Offline seadog

• NE London
Re: Glass scales info needed
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 09:11:54 AM »
Surely the resolution is determined by the scale? it's down to the number of lines per unit length. I can't see that changing the read head will make any difference. If you look at the plethora of scales available they are listed as 1µm or 5µm, not both, as far as I can see.

Offline Jo

Re: Glass scales info needed
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 02:37:47 PM »
I have Sinpo scales to upgrade them all I did was replace the read head (Slide one out slide the other in) then tell the display that it has the higher resolution head fitted.

If you forget to tell the display it has the higher resolution head fitted it reads 5 times the distance so it sounds like you have been sent another set of the standard resolution heads.

Jo
So many engines to build and yet so little time.