Author Topic: Homemade layout fluid  (Read 21399 times)

Offline mcostello

• Lancaster, Ohio
Re: Homemade layout fluid
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2018, 12:36:00 PM »
I use copper sulphate on a job with lots of grinding as it holds up to heat better.
High Speed steel in a Carbide world.

Offline krv3000

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2018, 02:49:29 PM »
brill

Offline fatal-exception

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2018, 04:41:20 PM »
So where does Methyl Hydrate fall into the alcohols discussion? I've been mixing shellac with this for a few years now with success. It's available pretty much everywhere in Canada. Gotta keep our fishing huts warm in the winter ya know!  :thumbup:

You can color shellac pretty easily with a variety of different dyes that are commonly available. TransTint is one brand name that comes to mind, it can be bought in liquid form. I'm sure that I've also used powered dyes from Lee Valley in the past also. I think with the correct amount of dye to shellac to alcohol, it would make a durable layout fluid as the OP suggests.

Offline NormanV

• United Kingdom
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2018, 03:04:35 AM »
I have just read this in a copy of "Model Engineer" from December 1981.

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2018, 08:42:43 AM »
I like this last one best Norman -- great find! Sorry I missed this thread earlier.

For readily available materials, here in the U.S., that means a ball point pen, liquid shellac, and denatured alcohol (shellac thinner) will do the job. The last two are available in every hardware or paint store here. I have both on hand for woodwork, including pattern making, anyway.

Dry Prussian blue pigment, while available in specialty city art stores, is not something locatable in my town, and probably not cheaper or easier to obtain than Dykem.

Prussian blue in tubes of oil paints is locally available, but also expensive. I'm not sure how well it would mix, or how quickly it would dry in alcohol. Probably not as well on either count.

Prussian blue oil paint It will work in a pinch as a spotting marker for scraping, but not as well (it's paler and dries more quickly) as the "real" thing -- I've used both.

Norman's find....a used ballpoint pen tube? Found everywhere, free. That's the kind of tip I really love.
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2018, 08:46:08 AM »
Hmmm.....this has me thinking about other readily available materials. What about dry clothing dye powder for the pigment, mixed with shellac and denatured alcohol?   I think I've got some..... might give it a try.

(though for cheap and readily available, I don't think the used ballpoint/shellac combo can be beat)
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2018, 10:02:20 AM »
My daughter makes "props" for anime costumes and such. Once she didin't find the correct cheap wig for the character, she bought a blond wig and dunked blue permanent marker stylys and all innards into a spay bottle filled with IPA and sprayed the correct color on wig. It held really well.

The secret was to find "alcohol" based permanent marker and dilute it into "alcohol".

Maybe "Spirit" permanenet markers and moonshine are plentyfull there?

Pekka
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 12:32:54 PM by PekkaNF »

Offline mcostello

• Lancaster, Ohio
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2018, 11:54:06 AM »
Not plentiful enough! :beer: :bugeye:
High Speed steel in a Carbide world.

Offline krv3000

« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2018, 05:04:43 PM »
I dare bet in the past getting hold of chemicals to make all manner of things from wax polish for your car to get rid of pests but gnaw in the uk most of the stuff is band I have a old book and in it there is a resapy for turning steel black went to the chemist as it says in the book and the look on his face when I gave him the list  :bugeye:  lol