Gallery, Projects and General > How do I??

Uses for Bronze Powder?

(1/3) > >>

Fergus OMore:

I have several pounds of bronze powder  which has not been used since before WW2.

Are there any uses for it other than gilding picture frames etc?  I thought of mixing it with epoxy resin as a filler to take up wear.

Comments welcome

Norm

awemawson:
Spray metal coating using a special oxy-acetylene torch that entrains the powder into the flame. (I have the torch)

one_rod:
Mix it with a little dry-powder flux, and use it as brazing spelter.

Most bronze alloys have a fairly low melting point, so ideal for sweated joints on brass, where you don't want to get things too hot and risk sagging the job.

Fergus OMore:
Thank you but this powder was definitely not for melting or spraying. The owner( died 1939 before WW2) was a master in glazing, sign writing and employed 50 staff. I still have some of his coloured bronzes as well as some gold leaf left.

Oddly, he was a sort of relative to the real Alice in Wonderland and John Dobson, the Newcastle architect.
Dobson designed Newcastle Central Railway Station  as well.

But thanks

Norm

RussellT:
Hi Norm

That makes me feel better about some of the stuff I have lying around that hasn't been used for years.

I'd guess you could mix it with varnish to make metallic paint.  If it's been lying around that long without a use you could always weigh it in.

Russell

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version